CBR1100XX.org Forum

97 wont turn over

Moriartii

I have been lax about starting the bike like I should.

Scenario:

Battery is relatively new replaced 4 mos ago. Let the bike sit two weeks and killed the battery had to jump start it via my truck. Bike knocked a little on start up but started and ran fine.

Today went to start it (having let it sit too long again) and the battery is nearly dead. I jump it again and the bike starts but stumbles badly with the choke lever fully engaged. Bike runs but poorly then dies. Try to start again no luck. I try again and give it a bit of throttle a loud pop occurs (backfire I hope) and then bike dies.

I go to dealer and get new battery. Return and bike cranks like crazy but wont start. I look on the forum and have checked the following:

Ign fuse 10 A is good

Main fuse 30 A is good

Closed petcock and WOT cranking with no luck.

Thoughts? Plugs were replaced 4 mos ago. Am I fouled or worse? I dont want to take it apart to get at the plugs.

TIA

Kinley

Yeah sounds like you fouled the plugs. Pull them and spray them with carburetor cleaner.

The 'bird doesn't like a weak battery. Get yourself a battery tender, and/or a battery charger. When you ran the bike the first time it didn't charge the battery all the way. The charging system of the 'bird, or any modern vehicle is not designed to charge a dead battery. Trying to do so will cause alternator and/or reg/rec troubles.

For a battery tender check out Harbor Freight. They sometimes have ones on sale for under $10. I've been using one for years and it works great.

After all the time I took yesterday to post a reply...its not here today. :icon_wall:

Oh, well, here's the short version.

You either didn't charge the new battery correctly, your bike has a current leak, or the battery was bad.

Its seldom that new batteries are bad, although it happens.

When you started your bike with jumper cables, your battery was already flat. Once you took the jumper cables off you were powering your headlight, taillight, and ignition ciruits on a dead battery and the alternator running at an idle.

Instead of sacrificing the lights and giving as much current as needed to the ignition circuit, the bike isn't that smart, so it just gave shite current to everything. That doesn't hurt a bulb filament, but it sure is hell on a spark plug.

No guarantees, but I suggest you once again properly charge the battery, check your bike for that current leak, and replace the fouled spark plugs.

Thank you all for your replies!!

I have since put the new plugs on order from my local O'Reilly's AND bought a Battery Tender from Cycle gear. Battery is now fully charged and ready to go. Plugs will be here on Tuesday so that should solve that problem. A bit of an expensive lesson, always keep your battery in top shape either by riding or using a battery tender!!!! :icon_wall:

Kinley

Yeah sounds like you fouled the plugs. Pull them and spray them with carburetor cleaner.

The 'bird doesn't like a weak battery. Get yourself a battery tender, and/or a battery charger. When you ran the bike the first time it didn't charge the battery all the way. The charging system of the 'bird, or any modern vehicle is not designed to charge a dead battery. Trying to do so will cause alternator and/or reg/rec troubles.

For a battery tender check out Harbor Freight. They sometimes have ones on sale for under $10. I've been using one for years and it works great.

what part # on the Harbor Freight battery tender thanks Ron

what part # on the Harbor Freight battery tender thanks Ron

I was looking on their website earlier and they don't show it anymore. My local store still carries them. If anyone wants one let me know and I'll get you one. Last I saw they were on sale for $6.99. So Whatever they charge me + shipping and it's yours.

When you get ready to restart your Bird, you should remove the fuses for the lights.

Then once you have it running on just the ign. current, check your battery voltage

to see if it is higher than just 12.5 v

It should be more like 13.5 v plus. If not you might have a lack of charging voltage.

Should that be the case you may have regulator/rectifier problem.

If charging OK, just keep the batt charged.