CBR1100XX.org Forum

sprocket question

Chizuck

My new front and rear sprockets just arrived today from White Buffalo Racing so I started taking the old stuff off. When I pulled the old front sprocket out I noticed it has large rubber pieces bonded to either side of the sprocket, while the replacement does not. Should this concern me? The replacement does have a couple tapped thru holes on it - is something supposed to attach there?

I think I took about 5 pounds of gravel, sand, and chain wax (50,000 miles worth) out of the cavity in there - should feel like I've gained 1 or 2 hp.

-Chuck

You've purchased aftermarket steel sprockets from White Buffalo. These are cheaper than Honda OEM and the front does not have the rubber dampener that the stock one does. Many people use sprockets such as these....myself included, and have no concerns about the lack of a dampener. The greatest impact, as far as I'm concerned, is more chain noise, and less cost. Because these sprockets may fit several different motorcycles, there's parts that may not be needed on ours...such the threaded holes. No big deal.

While you have the sprocket cover off, be sure to remove and clean the clutch rod.

I think I took about 5 pounds of gravel, sand, and chain wax (50,000 miles worth) out of the cavity in there - should feel like I've gained 1 or 2 hp.

-Chuck

Yeah I did that when I took my cover off to check the front sprocket when I changed my oil and filter 2 weeks ago and found all sorts of shit in there - gave it a good clean with kero and a toothbrush :icon_think:

You've purchased aftermarket steel sprockets from White Buffalo. These are cheaper than Honda OEM and the front does not have the rubber dampener that the stock one does. Many people use sprockets such as these....myself included, and have no concerns about the lack of a dampener. The greatest impact, as far as I'm concerned, is more chain noise, and less cost. Because these sprockets may fit several different motorcycles, there's parts that may not be needed on ours...such the threaded holes. No big deal.

While you have the sprocket cover off, be sure to remove and clean the clutch rod.

I did my rod when the cover was off and noticed the sprocket was an aftermarket :icon_think: I may try a 16T damped one when I put my next set on to see how they feel :icon_surprised:

Thanks Joe - I did give the clutch pushrod a good cleaning with solvent. With the amount of junk that came off of it and out of the space around it I'm hoping that will solve the weird clutch lever feel. If not I guess my next step will be to disassemble and clean the clutch slave cylinder.

I may try a 16T damped one when I put my next set on to see how they feel :icon_surprised:

Just let us know where you pick that up, okay?

Hi Joe

Doesn't Honda make a dampened 16T sprocket for the VFR that will fit the Blackbird?

I thought that I had read that here before in the past.

Take Care,

I may try a 16T damped one when I put my next set on to see how they feel :icon_surprised:

Just let us know where you pick that up, okay?

Service Honda, or Hondadirectline, or Ronayres, right? It's the stocker off of a VFR, I believe...

Mike

Yeah that is what I was refering to - I have seen it mentioned on various websites that the stock VFR front sprocket is 16T and damped and fits the XX :icon_think:

I have a 16T that is not dampened, but feel no ill affects I have been running those kind of sprockets for a long time. Would I be able to notice if I switched to a dampened one? A friend has a stock 03 XX and I didn't notice any unusual vibe compared to mine when he let me check it out.

I have a 16T that is not dampened, but feel no ill affects I have been running those kind of sprockets for a long time. Would I be able to notice if I switched to a dampened one? A friend has a stock 03 XX and I didn't notice any unusual vibe compared to mine when he let me check it out.

I don't feel any extra vibes from the non-damped 18t, but the chain noise is a bit louder than stock...

Mike