CBR1100XX.org Forum

RC51 Rear Wheel Mod

OzCrow

OK I've searched the forum but come up with nothing. I seem to remember someone had done this mod. Can someone help please?

PM KCBird. I believe it required extensive modifications to the swingarm, however.

If you aren't changing the front end, as well, then I'd recommend buying aftermarket wheels vs. retro-fitting the RC wheels.

Other than the RC uses a 6" wheel, and lighter than the factory XX, nothing.

Unless, of course, you have swapped out your front suspension with RC components and want the rear to match.

Other than the RC uses a 6" wheel, and lighter than the factory XX, nothing.

Unless, of course, you have swapped out your front suspension with RC components and want the rear to match.

Yeah that's what Crow has done - gone for a RC51 front end :icon_think:

FWIW I have an entire RC51 setup (well almost) Forks, Triples, F/R wheels, sprocket and rear brake disk for sale. All thats needed is the front brake setup.

What is the advantage to doing this change?

Lighter wheels make it easier to transition left to right (less rotating mass), quicker acceleration (again less rotating mass to spin), ALOT better brakes on the front and 100x better front forks than the stock front end.

I did know anyone made the parts to change the front anymore. Are they one of a kinds or am I incorrect?

eeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr what did you say?

FWIW I have an entire RC51 setup (well almost) Forks, Triples, F/R wheels, sprocket and rear brake disk for sale. All thats needed is the front brake setup.

What is the advantage to doing this change?

Lighter wheels make it easier to transition left to right (less rotating mass), quicker acceleration (again less rotating mass to spin), ALOT better brakes on the front and 100x better front forks than the stock front end.

I understand the rotating mass stuff I just didn't know if the RC wheels were lighter or wider or if there was some other advantage I was not aware of SO that said how much $$$ would you want for the RC stuff you have? Also could anyone tell me how much lighter the RC wheels are than stock XX Wheels?

If you have the unlimited funds::

http://www.ram.mc/HONDA/cbr1100xx.html

Holy crap that is expensive... no thanks till I win the lotto... I am on a budget cause I got married (DON'T DO IT) and now I am poor... but I will look into the RC stuff and see if the miser(wife) will stop spending $$ on shit for the house we don't need long enough to put some chips down on the RC stuff. :icon_think:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Andrew, Sorry for the slow response, been really busy lately.

Yes, I've converted my rear wheel to the RC51, as well as the RC51 front end. I actually didn't start off with trying to match the wheels. After converting the front end, I wanted to use the RC rear caliper so I would have a matching brake system on both ends. Well, the RC caliper won't fit the Bird caliper bracket. After experimenting with combinations Bird and RC parts I realized the only way it would possibly work was to adapt the complete RC rear wheel, caliper & bracket to the Bird swingarm. I Ebayed all of the parts I needed, but wasn't completely sure if it would even work until I had bought everything and started measuring. The RC wheel is 6" wide, but the center hub is narrower, also the rear rotor is smaller in diameter, undoubtedly because the RC51 is 75lbs or so lighter than the bird. The complete rear wheel assembly with dampener, sprocket and rotor is 7lbs lighter than the Birds' weighed the same way. The front wheel without rotors was 1lb lighter.

The RC axle is approx 50% larger diameter and uses push axle blocks. The the axle slot had to be machined for the larger axle and the outside of the swing arm machined for the push blocks. The swing arm side tubes are an excruded part with a center rib. We drilled into the rib and tapped it for the adjuster bolts to push the blocks. The caliper bracket slot-tab arrangement is just the opposite of the Bird, so we cut off the aluminum locator block on the swingarm, machined a new one for the RC caliper bracket and welded it on. Finally, the wheel offset is different, so we machined new spacers for both sides.

The RC conversion on both ends has been a lot of work and at some point I was on a mission just to prove it could be done, but the end result for me has been worth it.The bike makes directional changes MUCH more quickly and the RC51 brakes could launch you over the bars if you aren't careful. I'm still dialing in the front end height, etc, but the bike feels much more planted and there is no torsional flex in the front end. I've got some pics of the swingarm mods I can post for you, but I need to look for them.

Ken

• 3 years later...

Thanks for the compliments. The center stand clears by about 3/8", not much, but enough. The front end mod is pretty well documented in past threads, both mine and others. I decided to use the RC51 lower tripple which is a lot beefier, but required more machine work as you have to press the stem out and machine it to accept the Bird lower bearing. The 929/954 is simpler to modify as it already uses the same lower bearing. Both have to have the steering stops machined off and new ones relocated.