CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fuel Strainer -

ActionStarCBRxx

This can't be brain surgery right? My 97 bird hacks and sputters at higher RPM when revving and driving. From the previous posts I read, I am thinking it may be a fuel delivery problem so I pulled the tank and I am trying to get the strainer out to clean it.

It won't pull out of tank. At the middle section of the strainer, I think there is a plastic ring that I can't collapse enough to pull out of the whole. ( Strainer has three rings, one top, one middle, one bottom for support of the plastic mesh. Kinda like a condom with ridges right?)

I am afraid to just yank the bitch out with pliers or something like that for fear of ripping the mesh part of the strainer.

Any suggestions? :icon_wall:

Ok dumb question... where is the fuel filter? Checked the book over and over and I am not seeing where it is at? (fuel System chapter 5 of 1997 service manual) Its probably right in front of my face and I am missing it.

thanks!

You have to collapse the rings and pull kinda hard. There is a good chance you will tear the mesh. Be careful not to distort the first ring as you will have trouble getting a good seal when you put it back in. It comes out, but it's quite nerve racking. A new one is around $20 and comes with the o-ring. If you tear it and need another one immediatly I might have a extra one. Dealer takes the usual 7-10 days to get one in.

My O ring is stretched. I tried to put it back together last night and it leaks. So since I have it this far... I will go ahead and pull the SOB out and order a new one with the O ring. THhere are a few other parts I have been holding off to get so I think now is the time to get it all ordered. Thanks for the offer for the strainer Airborne. I just hope I dont drop it back in the tank!

My O ring is stretched. I tried to put it back together last night and it leaks. So since I have it this far... I will go ahead and pull the SOB out and order a new one with the O ring. THhere are a few other parts I have been holding off to get so I think now is the time to get it all ordered. Thanks for the offer for the strainer Airborne. I just hope I dont drop it back in the tank!

Don't worry the new one won't fall in the tank :icon_lol: