CBR1100XX.org Forum

CCT Question

silverbird1100

I replaced my first one with the X11 as a preventative measure but it's starting to go out The original still works but doesn't have that tension screw that you get with a brand new one. Can I still install it?

Yes you can but I'd buy a new one.

You have to use a screw driver to turn the screw inside of it(it's inside where the bolt goes on the top) to wind the spring back in then try and hold the screw driver like that while you install the it. It's a pain in the butt but can be done.

Has anyone installed the APE manual adjuster and been done with the rubber band? Long term experience? I am about to replace mine and would like some insight from the members. My competition background says go with the APE and make regular adjustment a maintenance item.

Mr. Hemi.

Has anyone installed the APE manual adjuster and been done with the rubber band? Long term experience? I am about to replace mine and would like some insight from the members. My competition background says go with the APE and make regular adjustment a maintenance item.

Mr. Hemi.

Just popped in an APE 2 weeks ago.

So here's my advice....

The stock unit blows dead goats, but, they are cheap and easy to install.

The Ape units will last the life of the bike, are cheap, easy to install, but are hell to initially adjust.(if anyone tells you different their fucking lying to ya, or don't give a fuck if it's adj correctly , or don't have a clue what their talking about)

Up to you :icon_whistle:

Mr. Hemi.

So here's my advice....

The Ape units will last the life of the bike, are cheap, easy to install, but are hell to initially adjust.(if anyone tells you different their fucking lying to ya, or don't give a fuck if it's adj correctly , or don't have a clue what their talking about)

How hard can it be? Don't you just screw it tighter and tighter till it quits making noise? Or do I not have a fucking clue? I have been thinking about getting on next time but it's so damn easy and cheap to get the Honda ones from John

Mr. Hemi.

So here's my advice....

How hard can it be? Don't you just screw it tighter and tighter till it quits making noise? Or do I not have a fucking clue? I have been thinking about getting on next time but it's so damn easy and cheap to get the Honda ones from John

First,get that thing finger tight,start the engine,try to screw tighter till rpms start to drop,and then back off a little.That it.That is when replacing good O.E.M. tensioner.

I know, APE approved method involves removing cam covers,measuring etc,but they are covering their asses,lawsuits,etc,nonsense,,,,,,,

If your O.E.M is already dead,it is more complicated,you gotta make sure there is no lash on non tensioner side of cams-crank drive before starting motor or crank can jump a tooth and you are fucked.

50000 miles on APE unit here.