CBR1100XX.org Forum

Recommendations for Brands/Vendors to supply New Chain and Front (18t) and Rear (45t) Sprockets?

Venus97

I think I need to replace the chain (some kinks are angled up and some down and they will not straighten up even with a good lubing). It is not in the "replace/red" section on the swingarm, but very close.

The rear sprocket is in excellent condition, unknown when the front looks like, but I'm told they all should be replaced at the same time.

This may work out as well as I'm interested in installing an 18 tooth up front to correct speedometer error and help me with my mostly highway riding.

I'm not interested in aluminum sprockets (I had them on my dirt bike years ago and found they suck).

Anyone recommend certain brands for chain and sprockets? websites?

Thanks

White Buffalo Racing consistantly has good prices on DID chain and either JT or Sunstar sprockets. (Sunstar is OEM manufacturer for Honda, btw) Just be sure to ask what the shipping is. Chains are heavy, and you're a ways away from California.

"The rear sprocket is in excellent condition, unknown when the front looks like, but I'm told they all should be replaced at the same time."

I guess you'd have to define "should."

For instance, your chain should have been changed before the links started kinking.

We should change all the sprockets and chain every 10,000 miles, just to be safe.

We should change clutch plates and disks every 25,000 miles, just to be safe.

I could go on. And will. :icon_dance:

The argument that all sprockets should be changed with the chain (the entire system) is valid in that one component does indeed affect the other, and any wear that a component such as the chain has will impact on the sprockets. If you renew the chain, and not the sprockets, the wear that is already on the sprockets will prematurely wear the chain, and you'll have to replace it sooner than if you did replace the entire system.

This is true.....but. It really depends on the amount of rear sprocket wear. The rear sprocket gets 1/3 the wear of the front sprocket simply by virtue of going around three times slower. Also, the accelerative loads on the rear sprocket (both positive and negative) are transferred over a greater area of surface, and therefore not as damaging.

You should always examine your sprocket for signs of wear before making the decision to retain or renew. Typically, an XX rear sprocket lasts for 2 to 3 chains, and a chain lasts 15-17 thousand miles. No one can predict the environment your chain runs in, or the level of maintainance you use, so YMMV.

Purely guesswork...if the chain wears out 10% faster because of a damaged rear sprocket that you cheaped out on and didn't replace because it cost $50 and an extra hour's labor....doesn't that come to about $15 negative on a $130 chain?

Your call. Each side of the argument wears validity.

Thanks for the input. I checked White Buffalo web site.

I'm seeing the DID 530 chain with 110 links (Is that correct?) is ofrd in Gold or Nickel (is there a performance or longevity difference?)

is about $130.

The only sprockets showing are AFAM (nver heard of them) but they offer hardened alloy or steel (which is what I'm looking for).

Is AFAM any good?

Thanks.

I got 2 quotes on 18Tooth front sprocket (17tooth stock on there now), 45T rear sprocket and new chain.

White Buffalo said that the stock 110 link 530 chain will work with 18 t front, whereas dealer said I need a 112 link chain (cut down from 120 link)?

How many link chain do I need for the 18 tooth front application?

Thanks.

I bought the AFAM20602 18 tooth sprocket & the D530ZVM2 Gold DID 110 link 530 chain from White Buffalo this past summer & it works great.

The DID ZVM2 chain is stronger than the DID ZVM chain.

The dealer is incorrect about needing a 112 link chain (cut down from 120 link).

I highly recommend White Buffalo Racing also.

I highly recommend White Buffalo Racing also.

+1

They go above and beyond every time. I bought my last DID chain from them and cracked a rivet 2 days before a bike trip installing it (totally my fault). Called them up and they overnighted me 2 rivet links for the price of 1 link w/ and charged me for standard shipping.

Whitey-today I just bought the exact set up you did from White Buffalo. I'm glad you like it, it sounded like a good package. Mike there sounds like a nice guy-answered my 100 questions w/o batting an eye.

Mike was also very knowledgeable & helpful to me when I had called with lots of questions.

Great guy to deal with.

Whitey-today I just bought the exact set up you did from White Buffalo. I'm glad you like it, it sounded like a good package. Mike there sounds like a nice guy-answered my 100 questions w/o batting an eye.

May I ask how much did you pay for the chain + sprockets?

Thanks. I may need a set soon.

May I ask how much did you pay for the chain + sprockets?

Thanks. I may need a set soon.

-------------------------------------------

$200.35 including shipping for 2 sprockets (front/rear) and DID X ring 10,400 lb tensile strength.