CBR1100XX.org Forum

Black Exhaust On Staintunes on '02

jambie

I've got an '02 with Staintunes, no PC, and the stock air filter. The bike has just over 4k miles. I bought it new last May with less than 1k miles on it. I took the medium size spuds out of the Staintunes today and noticed some pretty black soot on the spuds and the pipe exhausts. This indicates to me a rich condition, but I would expect a lean condition based on the factory FI and the addition of the Staintunes.

I can't believe the original air filter is clogged already, and I assume the original plugs are in there...Any other issues to check before I change those two things? The bike seems to run fine, and idles with just a bit of a burble, although I don't have another 'Bird to compare it to. I suppose a rich condition is better than a lean condition, but I hope this isn't an indication of something worse. The operating temps are between 170-180 degr. at speed with outside air temps of 40-60 degr. Temps go up to 200+ when stopped. I didn't really notice this problem this summer at the hotter temps, when I would expect a richer condition. The cooling fan works fine and cycles normally.

Thanks for any help you can offer...

Regards,

Tom

You're screwed. My guess is the bi-directional spring on the auto-enrichening servo is stuck or broken. You'll have to get rid of the pipes. As a favor, I'll send you a pair of stock pipes, which is best for your machine. No charge, just box up your old pipes and send them to me. I can use them on my snowblower, or something.

Really.

All the XX's run a bit rich. Not much you can do except to blow it out with a good run down the highway once in a while. Or get a Power Commander.....

Cripes, no, for crying out loud. Its not meant to function above 15,000 feet. Besides, fuel injection won't work with fetzer valves....they have to be pressure balanced on the front and back sides. The spring is just barely visible inboard of the SNIP tubes. Its a weak gold color and the copper colored brass debridement shims are right next to it.