CBR1100XX.org Forum

98 bird hard starting

Flash3741

Does it stay running after spraying the starting fluid?

I have a 98 bird that is hard to start. It turning over and tries to start, sputters and dies. It will fire up okay by using a little starting fluid. Plugs are new, carbs rebuilt, only 12k miles. Thanks

This is with full choke. It dies if you accelerate. Runs fine after a little warm up. Starts fine after engine is warm.

Is this only on cold mornings say below 40 degrees?

Here's my cold start procedure...

Full choke no throttle (open throttle enrichment circuits)

slowly return choke lever to maintain high speed idle (close throttle enrichment circuits)

While the above goes on I'm gearing up.

Couple of throttle blips and roll down driveway (300' BTW)

return choke lever fully. (close throttle enrichment circuits)

How long have you had the bike?

The blackbird actually does not have a choke it's a "throttle enrichment circuit" The lever actually opens plungers that allow more fuel into the intakes. Unlike older bikes that use choke plates to block off incoming cold air.

I have a 98 bird that is hard to start. It turning over and tries to start, sputters and dies. It will fire up okay by using a little starting fluid. Plugs are new, carbs rebuilt, only 12k miles. Thanks

Why were the carbs rebuilt? Unless the bike sat for a long time, a carb rebuild would not be necessary. Was something else occuring that lead to the carb rebuild?

Consider adding a can of sea-foam to your next tankful, it'll clean the various circuits and orifices in the carbs.

BTW be very careful with the starting fluid, or as like to call it "cylinder head cracking fluid".

Why were the carbs rebuilt? Unless the bike sat for a long time, a carb rebuild would not be necessary. Was something else occuring that lead to the carb rebuild?

Consider adding a can of sea-foam to your next tankful, it'll clean the various circuits and orifices in the carbs.

BTW be very careful with the starting fluid, or as like to call it "cylinder head cracking fluid".

The bike had been sitting in a garage with fuel in it for more than a year. Tried the seafoam- it fouled the plugs. Bike runs well when running. Doesn't take much to get her going with start fluid. It wants to start, but dies after a couple of seconds. Looking at the linkage for the choke it appears it's tied to the 2 middle cylinders only

The bike had been sitting in a garage with fuel in it for more than a year. Tried the seafoam- it fouled the plugs. Bike runs well when running. Doesn't take much to get her going with start fluid. It wants to start, but dies after a couple of seconds. Looking at the linkage for the choke it appears it's tied to the 2 middle cylinders only

When you move the choke lever can you see the linkage move the plungers in and out?