CBR1100XX.org Forum

Should I even bother...

silverbird1100

checking my clutch for wear tolerances? I'm a little paranoid since it might be slipping just a bit but I cant tell if it's the amsoil. It mostly for piece of mind since I ride this thing so far from home in the summer. I already have the gasket and a manual is it worth my time? I've got 37,000 touring miles

The other thing that bother's me is when I like to play racer and blip the throttle even getting off the highway I let the clutch out too fast too often and wonder if I screwed it up. Never even come close to locking up buit enough to make the bike jerk. I have never abused it bejond that.

Thanks

My thought is that if go thru the hassel of tearing it all down you might as well replace it. I have seen some clutches go longer than 37,000 and I have seen them replaced in as little as 10,000. It's up to you.

Clutches kind of go away gradually. Try a fourth gear acceleration from 3500 RPM, like a dyno run. If you don't get any slip. you should be good to go.

I've got 48,000 and the clutch is fine.

Try and match downshift engine speed to road speed with a little "blip" of the throttle, but just letting the clutch out will work also, just don't do it at such a high speed that you lock the rear wheel.

As previously posted, if you really want to check the clutch plates, just replace them and the springs All total, removing the fairings and all, it shouldn't be over a hour. Just make sure you dip the discs in oil before the install and check the steels for warppage.

Hard to imagine the clutch being bad------but if it is-----it's not from the Amsoil. I have had

Amsoil in my '97 since 2000----ride it pretty hard---41000+ miles.

As the others have said---if your going to the trouble of taking it apart---put in new stuff.

Also------good clutch technique is a learned skill---takes conscious effort but pays BIG dividends in riding pleasure and service life-----------happy trails kel

If you can't really tell if it's slipping, it's probably not. If I were you, I'd not do a thing until I know it's slipping, because you're not going to damage anything. Don't worry about hurting the clutch in normal riding - they're built to take alot more than most of us dish out. I've had a slipping clutch from some sort weird hydraulic lock in the clutch line. Found out after I'd replaced the clutch. Another time I thought I had a slipping clutch, and it was a broken rosette joint in a spliced axle (race car).

Ditto on the Amsoil, that's not the problem.

Like I said, it really is just a piece of mind issue. The one time I launched it hard was when I heard a grinding noise and thought I felt it slip. When cornering, I always blip it just right, nice and smooth, it's when I get carried away when it doesn't matter (coming into town) that I blip too hard and it jerks a bit. I also shift WAAY more than I need to. I can't test it because it's heavily winterized. I guess I'll leave it.

Clutch job actually is pretty easy.Actually you don`t even have to drain the oil,just put the bike on side stand and wait couple of minutes for oil to move the the side.Having said this I don`t think you have to check it yet.

Clutches don`t go south of the sudden,(unless it is drag strip),you will get plenty of warnings.

The biggest load on the clutch would be in top gear at peak torgue rpm,basically accelerate in 6th gear to 7000 rpm and punch it.If you do it on the incline it is even better,or try to drag you brakes.

If does not slip,don`t worry about it.

BTW before attacking the clutch make sure you have extra clutch cover gasket just in case.

You don`t have to ride/drive like wuss in order for the clutch to last.It is all shifting technique.