CBR1100XX.org Forum

FUBARED a pilot jet

Eric_The_Jew

Well, I yanked the float bowls today to try and cure the rough idle my bike has had ever since I bought it. I cleaned the pilots and reassembled. However, me being the ham fisted guy that I am, I twisted off the top of one of the pilot jets (the slotted portion that the screwdriver fits into). Damn, brass is REALLY soft! It was a nice, clean break and it doesn't obstruct the hole that fuel flows into.

Do any of you see a problem by just leaving it this way? The bike appears to run good now that the pilots are all clean.

Also, where is a good place to buy the replacement Keihin pilots?

Damn, brass is REALLY soft! It was a nice, clean break and it doesn't obstruct the hole that fuel flows into.

Do any of you see a problem by just leaving it this way? The bike appears to run good now that the pilots are all clean.

Yes.... that could be a huge problem. Carb jets are Bench tested for flow prior to numbering, because even tiny little changes in their surface area, mainly around the hole, can drasticly the flow characteristics.

You have to change it.... period.

You want these...

series 21 slow jet

Airborne, don't take this to sound like i'm doubting your knowledge, but I just want to be sure this is the right jet before I order. Keihin makes about 4 other series of pilots that look just like the "series 21" that you mentioned. See here: http://www.keihin-us.com/list.htm. Just want to clarify this before I order from Chaparral (who has some of the cheapest prices on jets, BTW!)

You want these...

series 21 slow jet

Airborne, don't take this to sound like i'm doubting your knowledge, but I just want to be sure this is the right jet before I order. Keihin makes about 4 other series of pilots that look just like the "series 21" that you mentioned. See here: http://www.keihin-us.com/list.htm. Just want to clarify this before I order from Chaparral (who has some of the cheapest prices on jets, BTW!)

In my manual the exploded view of the carbs has what appears to be the series 21, now looking at your link I see there are a couple of others that are similar looking. To be sure you may have to pull one and measure the length. Feel free to doubt my knowledge :icon_lol:

You want these...

series 21 slow jet

These are correct, I ordered the next bigger size the 21-45 from Chaparral.

You want the 21-42.

There is no part # on the jet it just says K 42.

Also you need to replace it you are now sucking at a higher height in essence you've lowered your float height.