CBR1100XX.org Forum

ProOiler Calibration Question

Zero Knievel

Well, it's installed, and while I don't think I'm a total moron, I'm just not getting the instructions. :icon_shifty:

I had to do the correction factor twice. Did the math wrong the first time, but I got counts for both 5 spins and 10 spins. In the end, it came out to 74.35 correction factor running off the speed sensor on the bike.

I programmed that in. So, on startup, the correction factor shows as 74.

I double checked their instructions for selecting what table to use. I did the math twice.

Chain is 530. Okay, that's 1. Multiply by 110. That's 110. Divide by chain length (110), that leaves 1.

Multiply that by 198 means I now have 198. Divide that by tire size, 180/55-17 which is 198, and I'm back to 1 again.

Multiply that by 2800 and I get 2800 as a final figure.

The seed value closest to that is 2772 (Table 7). I program that in.

Now is where I get lost reading their instructions.

First, what setting should I be using on Table 7. If I'm reading the chart and directions correctly, the higher the number, the RICHER the oiling, right?

Second, someone else on this board with a 'Bird says they use Table 10 and setting S3 (5). I can't see how I could be on Table 10, but I'm presuming maybe that person's speed indicator came up with a different count than mine (different model year perhaps), and what counts is the setting he used regardless of what table I'm supposed to be using for my 'Bird.

Any tips? :icon_think:

I'm running Table 11 right now on setting 3. That works out to one pulse every 3172 wheel revolutions. I've been running leaner and leaner settings to minimize fling off and keep the chain oiled.

My Pro-Oiler is one of the earlier units so our tables may be slightly different. My system uses the reed switch with a magnet.

I'm running Table 11 right now on setting 3. That works out to one pulse every 3172 wheel revolutions. I've been running leaner and leaner settings to minimize fling off and keep the chain oiled.

My Pro-Oiler is one of the earlier units so our tables may be slightly different. My system uses the reed switch with a magnet.

Mine is is another early unit with reed switch and I'm real close yo your settings... S1 (or setting 3) table 12. That works out to a pulse very 3306 revolutions and makes for a cleaner rear wheel with a well oiled chain.

I e-mailed Pablo....he cleared up the confusion. The "math" is designed extremely conservative. That answers a lot of questions.

Hello Jack

You are absolutely correct, the math says table 7.

And it's also correct that the "typical" table for the CBR1100XX is table 12.

The reason for the discrepancy is simply that the "theoretical" setting has to be well on the conservative/rich side to prevent people riding off into the sunset and drying out their chain... then blaming me!

For reference, there is a definite relationship between tyre dims/chain size, but aerodynamics also plays a role; eg. the Bandit 1200 and YZF1000R also have the same sizes, but both need richer settings.

Btw, where I know the destination bike (by definition in this case!), the controller is pre-programmed with table 12, and the info is marked on the 3M DualLock.

>>I figure that on any given bike, the goal is that your setting should be middle of the road so you can go richer in rain but still lean out a bit if you need to.<<

Exactly!

It's also a question of personal preference. In fact, you can lean off so that the outside plates dry out - but so long as the rollers/bushes and o-rings have an oil film it's perfectly ok. Some people prefer more fling-off but a shiny wet chain...

Brgds

Pablo

I may end up using Table 12 too. I'm still playing around with mine to find the ideal setting. I started out with engine oil, but now I'm using Mobil 1 gear oil. What are you guy using?

• 1 month later...

I can't see how I could be on Table 10, but I'm presuming maybe that person's speed indicator came up with a different count than mine (different model year perhaps), and what counts is the setting he used regardless of what table I'm supposed to be using for my 'Bird.

Maybe beating a dead horse already but because I've just had time to install mine and start fiddling with the calibration, let me share few points...

You were right with your conclusions except the assumption that speed sensor signal count having anything to do with any calculations, at least in terms of determining what table/setting to choose. Speed sensor count number is only to tell the Pro-Oiler unit to know how many signals (pulses) it should receive per tire rotation. In another word, for example, when the speed sensor generates ~70 pulses, Pro-Oiler would know the tire turned only once if you entered 70.00 in oS programming mode.

It appears like 3306 revolutions for the tire on the Bird for one shot of oil is the general preference which corresponds to Table 12 at Setting 3. This will place the oiling capacity on 95% on the lean side, i.e., you would have only 5% room to make it leaner if you desire to do so to prevent extra fling off. I'm suggesting that it would be more flexible to choose Table 15 at Setting 6 (3301 revolutions per pumping) which would enable you to go up or down (rich or lean) with more flexibility in either direction.

By doing so, you could choose to stay on the Standard mode (S1-S6), stay on S3 and go richer in one click to get 3x more or two clicks to get 6x more while having the ability to cut it back up to 20% in two clicks to dry it out.