CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front wheel parts - what will I need?

MR. WOMO

I am going to put on wave rotors, and the Spiegler SS brake line kit this winter. Because I have a '98, finding wave rotors was a bit challenging. The rear is the same for all years as I understand, so that wasn't a problem. The fronts are a little different. I located a set made by Braking USA at cyclepages.com (Dennis Kirk also carried them, but only had one in stock.) The puzzling thing though, is that they (on both the cyclepages site as well as Dennis Kirk's) say these fit '97's through 2001. This must be innaccurate as I checked on the differences in models thread that rockmeupto125 had graciously created, and it indicates that the front wheel hub is different to accomodate the larger front wheel bearings in the later years.

These rotors are set to arrive in a couple of days, and once they do I will know whether the actually fit the older years, or the newer ones. If they are incorrect for my '98, what exactly would I need to get from say, Ron Ayers or eBay to make my '98 rim usable with these rotors? Just wheel bearings, or more than that? Doable at all, or would I need an entire '99 and up front wheel assembly completely?

Wondering as I want to know whether to return these rotors if they aren't for the '98 year if it would involve much more of an expense.

Thanks much in advance!

Cheers,

Kevin

just an FYI I get factory parts at a 50 percent discount. I opened my TI kit and here is what it had. 4 adjustable needles, 8 e clips, new bowl screws (bolts really with allen heads) some tool, 4 sets of main jets, stickers, and directions for 3 different exhaust/intake combo's.

Please see the post that I made on this subject: http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...c=40655&hl=

According to the experts, you will also need the FI model's axle and spacers. Hope this helps.

I'll have to disagree with the experts. As I posted in the referenced thread...

"BTW, axles aren't the same, either. But you can use the axle and spacer assemblies interchangably, as long as you use an early axle with early spacers, or a late axle with late spacers."

This is only in my experience, as Northman and I fiddled around in my garage one day installing different wheels and parts out of sheer boredom.