CBR1100XX.org Forum

Don't think this has been asked...

silverbird1100

I would completely drain the tank, then leave it in the house so it won't condensate inside, causing rust.

Other than that, nothing I can think of. Keep the throttle bodies covered if the airbox is off, or at least cap off the ram air ducts if it's still installed. That should keep the critters out.

I would completely drain the tank, then leave it in the house so it won't condensate inside, causing rust.

I don't see why everyone doesn't do this. It only takes a few minutes and you are guranteed not to have condensation. IMO stabil can only do so much, you are still going to have to burn up 6 gallons of shittly gas.

As for the throttle bodies, sounds good, I'll leave em' Does anyone remembert that thread about lining the underside of the tank with a heat shield? Good time to do it but can't find the thread

I took my tank off for 2 months last winter with petrol in it. Left it outside on a trailer, upside down, with saran wrap rubber banded to the tubing. Didn't have any problems.

Modern gas is actually pretty stable stuff and an EFI bike has a mostly sealed fuel system. When the filler is closed, there is no vent to the atmosphere for the gas. You would have to fashion a plug for the EFI line but a tapered chunk of wood should do the job.

For reference, my '99 540i sat for 2.5 years with 1/4 tank of gas in it outside in mostly 90% humidity and it started and ran fine with nothing more than a new battery.

Thanks, for once, to the EPA for the way they limited evaporative emissions, thereby preserving most of the character of the gas inside the closed system.

I wouldn't do this or even recommend it if your local gas contains alcohol. That stuff will find moisture wherever it can.