CBR1100XX.org Forum

Differences between 97-98 and 99-on wheelsets

Eric_The_Jew

Okay, I have the urge to slap on some of the 10 spoke Marchesini forged magnesium wheels on my 'Bird. I think gold Y-spoke wheels would look shit hot on my all black machine. :icon_cool:

The problem is, Marchesini lists an application for 99-on birds, but doesn't list one for the '97-98. I tried deciphering part numbers on the RonAyers.com microfiche, but not much luck. Any idea what the differences are between the wheels on the new and old models?

Okay, I have the urge to slap on some of the 10 spoke Marchesini forged magnesium wheels on my 'Bird. I think gold Y-spoke wheels would look shit hot on my all black machine. :icon_cool:

The problem is, Marchesini lists an application for 99-on birds, but doesn't list one for the '97-98. I tried deciphering part numbers on the RonAyers.com microfiche, but not much luck. Any idea what the differences are between the wheels on the new and old models?

Ok REAR wheel no difference, front wheel there is spacing differences and since most high performance aftermarket wheels come with spacers as part of the hub then the rotors wont match right. The 99 and up rotors have a 4mm different offset and a 4mm different ID for the actual rotor (that info I had to get from EBC) so basically put front what I can tell if you were to change wheels and rotors everything should work great because the tripple clamp spacing is the same for 97-2006. I have never tried but to the best of my knowledge the forks are the same, the tripple clamps are the same and so are the calipers.

Great info cbrbear! I have one question though.....Ronayers.com's microfiche lists two different part numbers for the rear wheel assembly. Only the last three digits of the part number are different. I was wondering what was up with this? Where did you get your info that the rear wheels were identical? Maybe these different part numbers are for different colors? Did Honda ever put anything but a black wheel on any of the Birds?

Here is what I went by, cush drive same, spacers same, and rotor same, so wheel has to be the same. Different part number is prolly due to color code. They did change the type of black on newer models and they also had silver wheels. That and I had a 2002 on my rear wheel that is now either being sold or going on my 87 1000F

If you dont want to deal with it, try out the CTS moto or whatever wheels that are real similar, aluminum and are about 1380 a set vice 3000!!! THey make them for all years in 3 colors, gold, silver, and black.

Guys, there's a reason the Important/Useful Threads section is labeled "Important/Useful Threads."

Give it a whirl.....

Hmm.....I had never even noticed/paid attention to that useful threads section, but there's some good stuff in there :icon_clap:

So from what I read here:

"The front wheel hub is larger to accomodate larger front wheel bearings. Although the wheel spokes and rim remain the same, this is an entirely different wheel than the early models. The front rotors are also different, as they require a larger bolt circle on the carrier to fit the larger hub of wheel. Complete wheel assemblies are interchangeable between carb and FI models...individual pieces are not."

If I order the Marchesini wheelset for the '99 and up and put it on my '98 model, I will need to buy rotors for the '99 and up as well. Will I also need the axle from the '99 and up?

I am going to have to disagree with part of that post, bearing size, and bolt pattern size considering pretty much all honda wheels bearings are the same through many models, and from talking with the techs at EBC and Galfer the ID is 4mm larger and they said that was for the rotor its self not the carrier, they claimed the carrier bolt patter and size is the same, but either way if you bought a 99 and up wheel with 99 and up rotors as far as I know it would work. I would try it out on a cheap used ebay wheel or something before I go spending 1500 on a rim and 500 on rotors.

Chad

oh and to actually answer your question, axles should be the same!

I am going to have to disagree with part of that post, bearing size, and bolt pattern size considering pretty much all honda wheels bearings are the same through many models, and from talking with the techs at EBC and Galfer the ID is 4mm larger and they said that was for the rotor its self not the carrier, they claimed the carrier bolt patter and size is the same, but either way if you bought a 99 and up wheel with 99 and up rotors as far as I know it would work. I would try it out on a cheap used ebay wheel or something before I go spending 1500 on a rim and 500 on rotors.

Chad

Bear, I think this thread just answered my question: http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...c=21604&hl= Evidently this swap has been done, eliminating my guesswork!

Thanks for the input, guys.

Guest rockmeupto125

Chad

Normally I'd just let this fly, but people might actually listen to you, and that would be a bad thing.

The early XX's take a 6004 front wheel bearing, 20x42x12. That's 1997 and 1998 in North America.

The later XX's take a 6204 front wheel bearing, 20x47x14. That's 1999 and newer in North America.

You will encounter significant difficulties if you attempt to interchange these bearings.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. "the techs at EBC and Galfer the ID is 4mm larger and they said that was for the rotor its self not the carrier"

The inner diameter of the brake rotor is not an issue. There may be a slight difference in the ID of the rotor between early and late model...but the brake pad doesn't contact that area of the disk anyway. Also, the later rotor assemblies use 7 buttons rather than the 6 of the earlier model. This is a moot point, as the brake rotor and carrier are supplied only as an integral unit, and therefore addressed as one. The carrier, which is the portion of the brake disk assembly upon which the rotor has a floating attachment to, has a larger hole in the center on the '99 and up XX's. The bolt pattern is also larger.

Increasing the bearing size, and therefore the capability/strength of the bearing, caused the OD of the bearing to increase 5mm to 47mm. That increase necessitated an increase in the size of the center hub, and the diamater of the hole necessary through which the bearing were to be installed. Because that hole was now larger, the holes for the bolts that secure the rotor carrier in place needed to be moved, or there wouldn't have been sufficient material to safely secure the rotor carrier.

BTW, axles aren't the same, either. But you can use the axle and spacer assemblies interchangably, as long as you use an early axle with early spacers, or a late axle with late spacers.

That is what I have gathered from all the info in here... wish I had found this place before I modified my bird. Oh well she still turned out ok and as much as I dont like the petal style rotors on mine, the center hub is gold so it works out!