CBR1100XX.org Forum

Shell rotella or any diesel oil.

tomek

There is a big change on the horizon for diesel oils.New ultra low sulfur diesel fuel,plus new 2007 EPA spec diesel motors demend new spec oil,CJ-4 I believe.

Whether those new oils will still work well in motorcycles is a unknown.

There is a big change on the horizon for diesel oils.New ultra low sulfur diesel fuel,plus new 2007 EPA spec diesel motors demend new spec oil,CJ-4 I believe.

Whether those new oils will still work well in motorcycles is a unknown.

With lower sulfur content in the fuel, that will lower the acidic contamination of the lubricating oil. I've used Rotella T in my 99 VFR (163,000 miles) and now in my 99 XX.

Be intresting to see what changes are made to meet the new requirements. But my opinion is that any oil that will allow a 400 HP engine to run at almost full throttle it's full life (500,000 miles) certainly is suitable for a 71 CI gasoline engine in a motorcycle.

Diesel oil is different that gas engine oil. The new oils that are coming out for the low supher engines will be specialy formulated for just that application.

Anyways, thats what I gleened from the Esso guy when he brought fuel out to me a month ago.

Diesel oil is different that gas engine oil. The new oils that are coming out for the low supher engines will be specialy formulated for just that application.

Anyways, thats what I gleened from the Esso guy when he brought fuel out to me a month ago.

wow... it's sure a good thing that gasoline engines are already low sulfer! :icon_lol:

Mike

I've used Rotella T in my 99 VFR (163,000 miles) and now in my 99 XX.

Scott, I've always heard Shell Rotella was good oil and that the Porsche factory at one time preferred Rotella in their earlier (air-cooled) Porsches but I don't know what they recommend now. I've always thought about using Rotella in my '00 XX but never knew anyone else who used it in a bike. I like the fact that it's relatively inexpensive and you can buy it anywhere. I've always used Honda HP4 semi synthetic (without moly) in my XX (and previously in my old 95 VFR) and never had a problem, but the stuff is EXPENSIVE. I don't know if I'm paying more because it's Honda oil, or if it's truely better. If Rotella is good enough for Porsches it should be good enough for the XX. Also, is the Rotella "T" different in some way than the regular Rotella? Any additional comments you could make would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oldgeezer,just do a search.You`ll have enought to read for the whole winter. :icon_biggrin:

Subject of Rotella in XX has been covered like 8000 times.

15W/40 is a dyno oil,5W/40 is synthetic.

Members logged gazzilions of miles on Rotella T 5w/40.

Yes you are paying for Honda on the bottle.

Walmart used to sell Rotella T 15w40 synthetic oil by the gallon, and I ran it in my bike with no issues. Walmart no longer sells it though, so I'm back to Mobil 1. Gold cap, red box with white lettering with the weight on it, about $28 and comes in a 5 quart bottle. Supposedly the same as the old red cap that a lot of us used.

As always, buy a Purolator PL14610 or PL14612 (depending on your header clearance), WIX, or Mobil 1 filter as these are the best you can buy. Oil and filter just cost me $34 yesterday with tax, and 4 quarts of the gold bottle Honda oil used to cost me more than that.

You have to check all Wal Marts near you. Some have a much better stocked automotive area than others.

The one I was just in over the weekend had both Rotellas in 5 gallon pails, in addition to the 1 gallon and quart size.

Also 1 gallon Castrol GTX in 10w-40 which may also be one I try next year.

You have to check all Wal Marts near you. Some have a much better stocked automotive area than others.

The one I was just in over the weekend had both Rotellas in 5 gallon pails, in addition to the 1 gallon and quart size.

Also 1 gallon Castrol GTX in 10w-40 which may also be one I try next year.

You can also buy Rotella T 15W-40 in five gallon pails from Tractor Supply, but it actually costs more/gallon that buying five singles. Go fiqure...................I guessa five gallon pail is more expensive that five 1 gallon jugs.

Scott, I've always heard Shell Rotella was good oil and that the Porsche factory at one time preferred Rotella in their earlier (air-cooled) Porsches but I don't know what they recommend now. I've always thought about using Rotella in my '00 XX but never knew anyone else who used it in a bike. I like the fact that it's relatively inexpensive and you can buy it anywhere. I've always used Honda HP4 semi synthetic (without moly) in my XX (and previously in my old 95 VFR) and never had a problem, but the stuff is EXPENSIVE. I don't know if I'm paying more because it's Honda oil, or if it's truely better. If Rotella is good enough for Porsches it should be good enough for the XX. Also, is the Rotella "T" different in some way than the regular Rotella? Any additional comments you could make would be apprecuated. Thanks.

The only Rotella oils I've come across are straight 30W, 15W-40 and 5W-40 synthetic. My personal opinion is that synthetics are not necessary for street riding. Have you ever heard of someone wearing out a Honda engine regardless of the oil used????

I use the 15W-40 in all my engines: three bikes, my Grand National and the lawnmower.

OK, this has got me thinking. I'm getting to change oil in the XX and I was going to locla Honda Dealer to buy HN-4 10/40. It is expensive ($7/qt).

What other oils do you guys suggest? (I know this probably like asking on an opinion for slip of tires (everyone has their own preferences) but is there a common denominator-certain brands available to auto part stores that meet the requirements of motorcycles (same oil for both engine and transmission applications?) :icon_think:

Scott, I've always heard Shell Rotella was good oil and that the Porsche factory at one time preferred Rotella in their earlier (air-cooled) Porsches but I don't know what they recommend now. I've always thought about using Rotella in my '00 XX but never knew anyone else who used it in a bike. I like the fact that it's relatively inexpensive and you can buy it anywhere. I've always used Honda HP4 semi synthetic (without moly) in my XX (and previously in my old 95 VFR) and never had a problem, but the stuff is EXPENSIVE. I don't know if I'm paying more because it's Honda oil, or if it's truely better. If Rotella is good enough for Porsches it should be good enough for the XX. Also, is the Rotella "T" different in some way than the regular Rotella? Any additional comments you could make would be apprecuated. Thanks.

Doug, I have used Rotella T, full synthetic, for 2 summers in everything I have. I know the XX shafts better.

one time I used some texaco full syn. because it was on sale. after the change took it out for a ride it did not shaft as good as with Rotella got home put Rotella back in now it shaft like it should. there will be no dought when you change to Rotella you will like it, you can tell a big difference. yes I do own Shell oil company.

So far, I have tried 4 different oils in my Blackbird, this in the 23K miles I have put on it since I bought the thing with 13K on it a little less than a year ago. I change oil and filter at roughly 6K intervals. I bought it from a BMW dealer and it had BMW 20w50 in it when I got it. Shifted well if a little clunky. Put in my then normal for me Castrol Syntech 20w50 semi synthetic and it shifted great. New chain may have had something to do with that as well. Last change but one was Honda HP4 and I was not impressed with the shifting. Most recent was Rotella 15w40 dino and it shifted quite well and you just can't beat the price. The oil seems to be holding up well and doesn't discolor as much as the others I have used. I have about 4K on this batch and will send it out for analysis after the change. I'll probably toss another gallon of the Shell in there. I buy it by the case of gallons at the local NAPA store and plan on using it in all my bikes from here on out.

So far, I have tried 4 different oils in my Blackbird, this in the 23K miles I have put on it since I bought the thing with 13K on it a little less than a year ago. I change oil and filter at roughly 6K intervals. I bought it from a BMW dealer and it had BMW 20w50 in it when I got it. Shifted well if a little clunky. Put in my then normal for me Castrol Syntech 20w50 semi synthetic and it shifted great. New chain may have had something to do with that as well. Last change but one was Honda HP4 and I was not impressed with the shifting. Most recent was Rotella 15w40 dino and it shifted quite well and you just can't beat the price. The oil seems to be holding up well and doesn't discolor as much as the others I have used. I have about 4K on this batch and will send it out for analysis after the change. I'll probably toss another gallon of the Shell in there. I buy it by the case of gallons at the local NAPA store and plan on using it in all my bikes from here on out.

+1 if you would just try it you will not change

I always like oil discussions.....

The discoloration in oil as it ages is the result of the detergents in the oil doing their job, and is the visible evidence of combustion byproducts being held in suspension.

There is a good reason to use synthetic oil in your streetbike - it you live in a climate where you do frequent cold starts, you will see less engine wear. A good part of your engines wear occurs at start up, when the engine has less than optimum lubrication for a very short time. A synthetic oil will get to your engine parts sooner in cold weather, hence the reduction in wear. The difference is the paraffins in dino oil.