CBR1100XX.org Forum

TORX

DaveK

Question hoping someone can shed some light on for me.

Now that I have a US made bike I had to buy a whole 2nd set of NON-metric tools.

Why would they put bolts that take a TORX head and an Allen or HEX head on the same bike?

I never knew TORX even existed before the Harley.

AND....why is the 8 piece TORX ratchet set $39.99 and the Hex 8 piece set $14.99.

I already snapped the TORX head off the ratchet. Thankful Sears is so easy with the Life Time warranty.

ALSO....what is the difference between SAE and regular stuff ?

Thanks

Because half of Harley's "american made" bikes are made of Jap parts.

Torx is not as common as "allen" or hex, therefore the higher ass raping price.

What do you mean the difference between SAE and standard stuff?

And the restaurant called they want you to go clean up your mess :icon_twisted:

Because half of Harley's "american made" bikes are made of Jap parts.

Torx is not as common as "allen" or hex, therefore the higher ass raping price.

What do you mean the difference between SAE and standard stuff?

And the restaurant called they want you to go clean up your mess :icon_twisted:

Keyboard courage.....you must be drinking crown and ginger ! :icon_biggrin:

Some sets of wrenches say SAE and some don't. When I look at the packaging the wrenched look the same to me. Sizes and all. Actually the SAE ones are a bit more expensive...but identical to the eye.

Dave with tools! Now there's a scary proposition. Hide your machinary folks! :icon_stickpoke:

What Brett said Dave.

OK useless trivia time - Torx were adopted by GM as a more efficient fastener because they are less prone to being stripped like an allen type fastener for higher torque applications. Hence the name "Torx" Also, because of the design they can be removed with a screw driver. This is why you will see things like the ignition switch on Suzuki's secured with "Security" fasteners which is simply a torx style with a center "tit" of metal left in the fastener to prevent the use of a screw driver. The proper tool for these is simply a torx type driver with a center hole in it to accomobate this "tit"

Hey, I told you it was useless trivia :icon_biggrin:

Called tamper proof torx in the snap on tools catalog.

When I bought my set that's what they were called too.

Alot of IBM servers use these to stop people from working on them...

It also holds our ignition switches on.

WOW...Dion and Brett are ACTUALLY wrong. I love this...

I went back to Sears and they told me and showed me what SAE is. The round part of the wrench....

You know one part is like a U and the other is a circle. Well SAE apparently is shaped EXACTLY the same shape as the bolt and NON-SAE is the circle with many angles inside the circle.

I know SHIT about tools...but I am sure you tool timers know what I mean.

Maybe I taught you something ?

Prolly not though.

:icon_wtf: That's a pretty broad and bold statement.

So when you drop that wrench on your tank, and it's not going to fuck up the paint? :icon_rolleyes:

What are you talking about ? Silicon based fluid is either going to OR not going to mess my paint up.

When did we start flinging wrenches.

Forget it....you can NEVER get a straight answer from you :icon_biggrin:

Question hoping someone can shed some light on for me.

Now that I have a US made bike I had to buy a whole 2nd set of NON-metric tools.

Why would they put bolts that take a TORX head and an Allen or HEX head on the same bike?

I never knew TORX even existed before the Harley.

AND....why is the 8 piece TORX ratchet set $39.99 and the Hex 8 piece set $14.99.

I already snapped the TORX head off the ratchet. Thankful Sears is so easy with the Life Time warranty.

ALSO....what is the difference between SAE and regular stuff ?

Thanks

SAE= Society of Automotive Engineers

In the case of tools, this just means that all tool sizes are the same no watter who makes then or where. 3/8's is 3/8's....there is no difference.

Dave, airborneXX gave you the right answers...

SAE means Society of (American) Automotive Engineers... all tool measurements are in inches or portions thereof...

Obviously metric is... y'know... milimeters, centimeters, meters, etc...

Torx is a copyrighted brand name fo a "security fastener" finding increasing use in the automotive genre...

Anybody who told you that a 6-point box-end wrench is the definition of SAE... well, let's just say you could do better to find an information source. Sales personnel don't always know what they're selling.

For a real explanation, and a free (downloadable) conversion program, visit www.joshmadison.com - it rocks!

WOW...Dion and Brett are ACTUALLY wrong. I love this...

I went back to Sears and they told me and showed me what SAE is. The round part of the wrench....

You know one part is like a U and the other is a circle. Well SAE apparently is shaped EXACTLY the same shape as the bolt and NON-SAE is the circle with many angles inside the circle.

I know SHIT about tools...but I am sure you tool timers know what I mean.

Maybe I taught you something ?

Prolly not though.

Yeah right a pimple faced kid that's younger than some of my underwear that never turned a wrench in his sorry ass life knows more about tools than me and Dion. :icon_rolleyes:

Here's your hook back loverboy :icon_biggrin:

Tools 101 by Warp :icon_dance:

You can use an allen wrench to take out any of these tork fasteners if you have a large enough hammer to drive it in the torx head. :icon_doh:

Break as many Craftsman Tools as you wish unless they are power tools or calibrated instruments. :icon_thumbsup:

Craftsman, Snap-On, Mac, and Easco 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive sockets are not expendable for just any purpose though. Go to Auto Zone and buy a $2.99 Great Neck if you're gonna beat on it....at least more than occasionally. :icon_rolleyes:

Doing things that end up breaking 1/2" or bigger tools normally end up with entirely missing knuckles and possibly even stiches. BTDTST!

I'm proud to say that I have not taken any vehicle I have owned, of any type, to the shop for anything other than required inspections, tires, front end alignments, or custom exhaust systems for over 25 years of driving. :icon_dance: A large part of this is that I've never owned a Harley :icon_whistle: . NBL :icon_lol:

Tools 101 by Warp :icon_dance:

You can use an allen wrench to take out any of these tork fasteners if you have a large enough hammer to drive it in the torx head. :icon_doh:

Break as many Craftsman Tools as you wish unless they are power tools or calibrated instruments. :icon_thumbsup:

Craftsman, Snap-On, Mac, and Easco 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive sockets are not expendable for just any purpose though. Go to Auto Zone and buy a $2.99 Great Neck if you're gonna beat on it....at least more than occasionally. :icon_rolleyes:

Doing things that end up breaking 1/2" or bigger tools normally end up with entirely missing knuckles and possibly even stiches. BTDTST!

I'm proud to say that I have not taken any vehicle I have owned, of any type, to the shop for anything other than required inspections, tires, front end alignments, or custom exhaust systems for over 25 years of driving. :icon_dance: A large part of this is that I've never owned a Harley :icon_whistle: . NBL :icon_lol:

Brett

Fuck em all Brett! If you can't fix it fuck it!