CBR1100XX.org Forum

Slip-ons...where/what to purchase

ststricker

I have a '98 with the OEM exhaust. I am looking to upgrade to some slip-ons and I want to keep the factory header & centerstand. I have seen stainless Scorpions for $499. Is this a good deal? I used to have Yosh RS-3 zyclones on a previouos bike and they were too quiet. I am looking for something that has a "healthy" sound, but won't break the bank if you know what I mean.

I think I read something about needing to jet the carbs

Stock setting is lean as is on the carb models. Jetting is recommended with slipons or a full system for better performance. I just felt that since I was not going to jet the bike, an aftermarket exhaust remains basically for a different sound :) Therefore I decided to stick with stock.

The Two Brothers C5 X-metal carbon fiber slip-ons sound great, are light weight and look really nice (especially on the 2000 titanium). I am going to put a set up for sale that I removed since I've done a Sport Touring conversion.

Nik & Tim,

Can you please define "loud as Fuck"? :roll:

Do they set off car alarms while driving through ritzy areas of town?

Do they cause your buddies behind you to wince everytime you downshift?

Do they make people's heads turn before they can see you?

If the answer is yes, then that's what I'm looking for :grin:

I am assuming that you guys still have twin pipes and no jetting...?

Then the D&D's are what you want.

My ART race pipes I had previously were loud as hell, also, but didn't have the bark that the D&D's do.

The ART's are also pretty cheap, and can be had in a choice of colors and materials.

Jardines RT-ONE slipons.

1. They sounds awesome but still quiet.

2. They work nicely with Beetle Bags and such

3. Mine gave me a 5HP peak boost on the dyno. Great for slipons!

Buy 'em used like I did.. They're cheaper that way..

:cool: TJ :cool:

Yes...or parking garages...or parking lots...but thats cool.

Do they cause your buddies behind you to wince everytime you downshift?

That depends on how close you are.

Do they make people's heads turn before they can see you?

Yes

Do they advertise that you are riding like a hooligan to every LEO within 2 miles?

Yes

Would the normally really nice sound get old after riding on it for an extended time?

In my opinion...Yes

Just my opinion. I love the way Nik's bike sounds. I have a friend who had two different bikes (ZX7 and TL1000R) with D&Ds and damn I got tired of it after a while. No way I would want to take a trip with them...but Nik can obviously speak more for the XX with D&Ds.

Not quite the same thing but a friend who had a ZRX1200 has a Scorpion can and it was a very nice looking and sounding can. Had a nice rumble but wasnt really loud. Probably louder than my Yoshs but nowhere near D&D loud.

Yup...

Some little weenie has a car alarm on his piece of shit cargo van in my neighborhood...

I set it off without even trying. (just idling by)

I can't stand how 600's sound with unrestricted pipes, but on an 1100... They sound awesome...

At low RPMS, its a LOUD semi-hollow but robust, throaty rumble,

...and at a little higher RPMS at generous throttle, its obnoxiously loud and the throaty rumble turns to more of a roar, and expands to include a powerful (blat blat blat) sound in addition to the roar.

...at even throttle when you cruise at high rpms its just a loud roar.

At low RPM's in an enclosed area like an alley, or parking garage, or even a city block with the buildings close to the street, idling along with the throttle barely cracked open, you get this eardrum reverberating harmonic rumble that TOTALLY gives insta-chub.

I've never heard another pipe that I liked as much on the XX although the hi-rise migs would be my second choice.