CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fixing scratch in tank help

Zero Knievel

Small pebble on tank bag pad put a noticeable scratch in my tank.

What do you all recommend to remove or diminish it. It'll be covered with a new tank cover, but I'd like to buff out the scratch as much as possible.

Small pebble on tank bag pad put a noticeable scratch in my tank.

What do you all recommend to remove or diminish it. It'll be covered with a new tank cover, but I'd like to buff out the scratch as much as possible.

You can try some polishing compound. If the scratch is too deep, then use some very fine grip wet-sanding paper to take the edge off. Then buff it out with polishing compound.

What color, you can use 1500 wet sand paper with lots of water also use a sanding block. if not real deep you can use maguires #2 and then progress up. you will still have to use these if you use the sand paper also if real deep use a 1000 or 1200 grit. can you feel it with your finger nail? you may have to use 400 go lightly though cause paint will come off also depends on if it through the clear coat or not

For a lite scratch polishing compound. For a deep one fill it with touch ip paint, build it up just a bit higher then the rest. Let it dry and then sand with wet sand paper and lots of water. Once the touchup paint is the same level as the rest, polish it out. I use Maguires scratch remover to polish.

zer,

I am going to go against the grain based on what has been posted already !

Do NOT use a compound or sand paper or anything that has abrasives in it.

Any name brand cleaner/polish will smooth out most all fine scratches in the clear coat.

That being said based on the scratch is only in the clear coat, which from your discription sounds like it is.

If all the way through the clear coat, you will never get it to disappear perfectly without a respray but as decribed a buildup with matching color (the hard part) and leveling for a smooth finish will blend it pretty well.

Todays clear coat finishes are tough to touch up and get them to blend perfectly but the advantage is the clear coat is more durable and easy to polish out fine lines, swirls and light scratches.

After the finish is the way you want it, then be sure to lay a good coat of Polymer based sealant or wax over the whole tank to prevent any further marks.

Zero...

I would say take a hammer to it for about 2-3 minutes, then try bead blasting for about 45seconds, followed by good drag of, Oh say, 2-3 miles behind your car... if that doesn't do it... wait til next fall and have Bob polish it out in about 20 minutes!

:icon_dance:

Zero...

I would say take a hammer to it for about 2-3 minutes, then try bead blasting for about 45seconds, followed by good drag of, Oh say, 2-3 miles behind your car... if that doesn't do it... wait til next fall and have Bob polish it out in about 20 minutes!

:icon_dance:

The "scratch" really is hardly noticable. I just put on a coat of Pledge before putting the tank cover on.

I'll let Bob look at it next fall. ;)