CBR1100XX.org Forum

K&N filter for blackbird... does it really fit that poorly?!?

Godspeed409

Got a k&n for the bird and the instructions say something about removing an o-ring!??! which i dont have (2000 blackbird)... so you basiclyu just grease it up and set it in there?!?! doesnt seem real airtight to me.. maybe im just picky>?!?!?!?!

Is this really how its installed? or is there really an o-ring to take out somewhere??!? thanks

Got a k&n for the bird and the instructions say something about removing an o-ring!??! which i dont have (2000 blackbird)... so you basiclyu just grease it up and set it in there?!?! doesnt seem real airtight to me.. maybe im just picky>?!?!?!?!

Is this really how its installed? or is there really an o-ring to take out somewhere??!? thanks

You take the O-ring out of your factory filter, as far as I know...

Mike

The K&N in my 97' fits very well also. Seals good and tight I've got no complaints

really kinda confused... mine sits against the seal in the bottom of the airbox but is hardly what id call a "Tight" seal... but as far as i could find theres noting to remove from the airbox (Top or bottom) atleast not that i saw.. and i looked...

someone needs to clarify this for everyone.... maybe i have it in wrong?

ok.. i figured it out... the o-ring is in that little groove, that i thought was solid plastic actually has a little rubber band-like string through it.. removed it off the bottom of the box and the filter fits alot better i think the K&N instructions really could specify alittle more.

thanks all

removed it off the bottom of the box and the filter fits alot better

So... you did pull it out of the factory filter and put it into the groove of the K&N, right?

That's the way the '97-8's are, and I've been into several XX's, but they have all been carb'd, and I know the air boxes are different...

Mike

So... you did pull it out of the factory filter and put it into the groove of the K&N, right?

That's the way the '97-8's are, and I've been into several XX's, but they have all been carb'd, and I know the air boxes are different...

Mike

anyone have to rejet their bike because of the K&N to compensate for the leaner mix? or did you experience a flat spot at high RPM afterwards? just curious..

Mike

no i didnt... there was no sealing ring on the filter whatsoever. The only ring was actually like glued to the bottom of the airbox inside the little grove... now i didnt buy the bike new, so it could be an aftermarket paper filter i pulled out of there when swapping, but the paper one looked factory honda to me..

eathier way the filter seals pretty well like i got it now, the K&N came with a tube of sealing grease and i ran a bead around the grove before installing the filter.

Mike

anyone have to rejet their bike because of the K&N to compensate for the leaner mix? or did you experience a flat spot at high RPM afterwards? just curious..

I doubt you would HAVE to rejet, but rejetting even with the stock filter and stock exhaust will help with the flat spot.

I have stated my thoughts about rejetting a stock bike before. Rejetting for me anyways is too much work to be worth it. after installing an exhaust and K&N the a/f mixture is pretty far off and i would suggest rejetting

but i guess to simply answer your question yes rejetting will help your flat spot, and no i dont think just installing a K&N will move that flat spot up in the rev range any. These are just my opinions, others will likely have different opinions

Mike

I have a 98 and the K&N works great. No fit problems at all.

I doubt you would HAVE to rejet, but rejetting even with the stock filter and stock exhaust will help with the flat spot.

I have stated my thoughts about rejetting a stock bike before. Rejetting for me anyways is too much work to be worth it. after installing an exhaust and K&N the a/f mixture is pretty far off and i would suggest rejetting

but i guess to simply answer your question yes rejetting will help your flat spot, and no i dont think just installing a K&N will move that flat spot up in the rev range any. These are just my opinions, others will likely have different opinions