CBR1100XX.org Forum

Z6 slippery in cold and wet conditions

R1000

Any others having the same experience as me that Z6's are mostly very grippy, but quite slippery on wet roads when the temperature is about 10 deg C or lower?

Any others having the same experience as me that Z6's are mostly very grippy, but quite slippery on wet roads when the temperature is about 10 deg C or lower?

Not the best time of the year for traction is it? Add a good layer of wet leaves and it really makes for a fun ride. On top of that the deer are very active, and because of the lack of daylight you're in the dark most of the time.

I've never tried the metzeler but I don't imagine it's much different from the pilot road in that respect. I'm pretty happy with the PR but I don't expect too much under those conditions. Try a softer compound for this time of year. I know the Battlax BT-012SS is awesome in the cold and wet, and heats up in an instant. Maybe drop a lb or two and see if they come up to temp a bit better. Hopefully someone with some specific experience with the Z6 will chime in. Until then, take it easy eh.

marty

Not the best time of the year for traction is it? Add a good layer of wet leaves and it really makes for a fun ride. On top of that the deer are very active, and because of the lack of daylight you're in the dark most of the time.

I've never tried the metzeler but I don't imagine it's much different from the pilot road in that respect. I'm pretty happy with the PR but I don't expect too much under those conditions. Try a softer compound for this time of year. I know the Battlax BT-012SS is awesome in the cold and wet, and heats up in an instant. Maybe drop a lb or two and see if they come up to temp a bit better. Hopefully someone with some specific experience with the Z6 will chime in. Until then, take it easy eh.

marty

Yes you are right; it’s probably exactly what to expect from about any tyre in these conditions that I haven’t experienced much before. And in similar situations I've had Michelin Powers, which are probably even grippier and warms up as good or better than the BT-012's. The Michelin Power seems to deliver during any conditions, but they wear to fast on this bike that (unfortunately) is mostly used for commuting on straight roads.

You can try to run lower pressure in cold conditions,more carcass flex,more heat into a tire,better grip.

I run 32 psi in cold conditions on Pilot Roads,handling somewhat worsens but I`ll take that over lock of grip.

You can try to run lower pressure in cold conditions,more carcass flex,more heat into a tire,better grip.

I run 32 psi in cold conditions on Pilot Roads,handling somewhat worsens but I`ll take that over lock of grip.

Thanks for the tip, I'll reduce the pressure before driving home from work today. This morning it was almost like driving on ice, the rear spins very easy :icon_shifty: . The road is wet and the air temperature is below 3 deg C :icon_neutral: