CBR1100XX.org Forum

Repairing plastics

airborneXX

Just call Bob @ www.empiregp.com and be done with it.. Will be like new and ready to go...

I don't know about fillers but know whatever you use better be strong, have a good bond, and flexable.

You know it was Matt fault right?

Well now that's just too damn easy now isn't it :icon_lol:

I plan on doing most of this while not at home :icon_shifty:

How deep are the low spots,or how thick the filler would have to be ? If it is less then 1/8 or 3mm you can get away with glaze putty for flexiable parts.If thicker then that fiberglass reinforced plastic filler is needed as a first step,after sanding you would have to use above mention glaze putty.

In any rate,those materials are usually only available at body shop supply stores.

That reinforced plastic filler is very difficult to sand without power tools,( you can use decent file) so make sure you only use as little as needed.On positive side it is strong as hell,stronger then plastics you are trying to repair.

Practice up brett. i will be asking for some pointers once im ready to shut mind down for the winter. i touched mine up with some spray paint for now.

A buddy of mine told me about this stuff when he was looking around for something to repair his plastics. Looks like pretty good stuff and I may pick up a kit to have on hand - you know, "just in case".

Plastex

A buddy who works at a large appliance dealer put me onto a product that they use to fix the ABS liners in fridges and freezers. I can't recall what the trade name is, I'll look it up and edit later, but it's just ABS in a jar.

It's Sandable, paintable, flexable and is pure ABS.

I saw the "Plastex" product at the last bike show and other than the color, I think it's the same stuff....but, the ABS repair that I buy from my buddy cost 15 bucks for a pint, where as the "Plastex" kit was 50$ (if I remember correctly)

I'v used this stuff quite a bit and have fixed some pretty fucked up stuff for my buddies. You should be able to get this stuff at any appliance repair place.

I'm picking up a product from my local auto body paint store this afternoon. I'll post it up later.

\

A buddy of mine told me about this stuff when he was looking around for something to repair his plastics. Looks like pretty good stuff and I may pick up a kit to have on hand - you know, "just in case".

Plastex

A buddy who works at a large appliance dealer put me onto a product that they use to fix the ABS liners in fridges and freezers. I can't recall what the trade name is, I'll look it up and edit later, but it's just ABS in a jar.

I saw the "Plastex" product at the last bike show and other than the color, I think it's the same stuff....but, the ABS repair that I buy from my buddy cost 15 bucks for a pint, where as the "Plastex" kit was 50$ (if I remember correctly)

I'v used this stuff quite a bit and have fixed some pretty fucked up stuff for my buddies. You should be able to get this stuff at any appliance repair place.

WTF you guys work for Homeland Security or what?

I've got this stuff DON"T know what it is DON"T know when I'll need it but it works great, and I've used it before.

then theres "I'm picking up a product from my local auto body paint store this afternoon"

okay then agent 86

NBL

:icon_surprised:

I'm picking up a product from my local auto body paint store this afternoon. I'll post it up later.

\

Plastex

I've got this stuff DON"T know what it is DON"T know when I'll need it but it works great, and I've used it before.

then theres "I'm picking up a product from my local auto body paint store this afternoon"

okay then agent 86

NBL

:icon_shhh: :icon_shifty:

Okay here it is. This is top secret so keep it to yourself :icon_shhh:

Evercoat

IPB Image

That is for smoothing out the pretty side. I got some resin and fiberglass cloth to put on the ugly side for reinforcement. I will be doing this in a secret place that is not my home tomorrow :icon_redface:

\

Plastex

okay then agent 86

NBL

:icon_spank: