CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear shock

R1000

Any one knows if a Öhlin rear shock from a bird -01 to -04 can be used directly on a bird -97? Öhlins has different part numbers on them, but it is the same type and they have the same stroke. I could ask them of course, but have anyone here used a newer Bird shock on a -97?

Any one knows if a Öhlin rear shock from a bird -01 to -04 can be used directly on a bird -97? Öhlins has different part numbers on them, but it is the same type and they have the same stroke. I could ask them of course, but have anyone here used a newer Bird shock on a -97?

They are not directly compatible.

Something about modifying the top of the shock to fit........

Hmm, new Ohlins -01 to -04 are on sale here, alsmost half price. Any one know if it is a simple mod one can D.I.Y. ?

I bought a Ohlins shock from Jred. He had it on his '97. I fit fine on my '99. I think the only difference between the years is how you mount the reservoir. I mounted it on mine the same way Jred did on his '97.

It is the best mod so far. It really makes the bike a joy to ride. :icon_dance:

I bought a Ohlins shock from Jred. He had it on his '97. I fit fine on my '99. I think the only difference between the years is how you mount the reservoir. I mounted it on mine the same way Jred did on his '97.

It is the best mod so far. It really makes the bike a joy to ride. :icon_dance:

I have contacted Lindemans for a price on a Penske rear shock. It is meantioned in another thread that there is a good Penske for 715 USD, I'll see if they can deliver to Sweden and what the shipping will be.

Hmm, new Ohlins -01 to -04 are on sale here, alsmost half price. Any one know if it is a simple mod one can D.I.Y. ?

The UK shocks seem to be OK as well. K-Tech, Hagon & Maxton are three that 'spring' to mind. As my '04 is 18K kms (12K miles), shock seems to be holding up well. Any others gone longer before swapping to aftermarket shock/spring combo's?

I got the 46HRCS on my 98 and it's good and the spring size is the same from 97-03.

stock rate was 16.8 kg/mm, the Ohlins came w/ 17.32 kg/mm.

The UK shocks seem to be OK as well. K-Tech, Hagon & Maxton are three that 'spring' to mind. As my '04 is 18K kms (12K miles), shock seems to be holding up well. Any others gone longer before swapping to aftermarket shock/spring combo's?

My 98 has the original shock and I have a 95 CBR900RR shock coming for it as it is shot, just kicks back through my lower back and the screw at the bot is stuck solid. The bike now has 40 000km on it ( 8000km since March ) and the last couple of months it seems to have gotten worse - I think it was on the way out at 32 000km :icon_think: BTW being 130kg (300lb ) probably doen't help either :icon_think:

Guest rockmeupto125

There may be a difference in the length of the reservoir hose, or the factory positioning for left or right sided reservoir mounting, but that's about all I can imagine.