CBR1100XX.org Forum

Baseline dyno run - updated with dyno tune

tripledigits

I had a baseline dyno run done yesterday in preparation for adding a PC and Akro full exhaust. Numbers were 125 hp and 76 lbs. with the much discussed 5500 rpm dip on the torque and hp curve. I noticed hp and tq both falling off a bit before redline, beginning about 9500 rpm, IIRC. Dynojet was used, and the shop guy (owner) said he thought the throttle response was a bit muted, like some fuel injector cleaner may be in order. Time for some Seafoam. I'll post dyno results after the mods are in place.

Interestingly, the shop had called me from their past customer list to offer me some season ending discounts. When I inquired about the Akro exhaust, they called the supplier and were told there was only 1 left in the country (Sport full exhaust with Ti can). I was going to wait awhile to do the exhaust, but figured since the Akro was a good exhaust and may not be available in the future, I decided to take the leap.

From reading other posts, I suppose I can hope for about 140 hp and a smaller dropoff at high rpm? My biggest goal would be to see max area under the torque curve, since that's what we feel when we ride on the street.

Any recommendations for the dyno tuning??

I'm not sure I fully understand the question but keep tuning it. It's a process. Sounds like youre living right finding a rare akro. I'm sure there are some good maps out there for the PC that are Akro/XX specific.

Are there any PC maps listed on this forum besides these:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...+injection+maps They may fill the bill or you may need have a tuner make one for your XX. Good luck with it.

Doing the dyno before you tune is the way to go. I'm amazed at how many people dont do that. In 91 I put a Vance & Hines system on a gixxer and got 3 hp gain from an $800 investment and went about 3 seconds faster on the track. I couple of years later I took a racing school for $360 and cut 15 seconds off my lap times.

Keep up posted.

I also have the Akra that you you are talking about, great exhaust....

My baseline was very similar to yours and I was able to get to 137 hp with no map..... A little more once the additional mods were completed :icon_twisted:

I removed the sticker on the exhaust, added to the stealth look the XX already has

Steve,

Did the Akra make the bike run lean or rich with no map? Just curious. Do you have a PC for your current setup??

Thanks,

Jeff

My baseline was very similar to yours and I was able to get to 137 hp with no map..... A little more once the additional mods were completed :icon_twisted:

I removed the sticker on the exhaust, added to the stealth look the XX already has

Steve,

Did the Akra make the bike run lean or rich with no map? Just curious. Do you have a PC for your current setup??

Thanks,

Jeff

I do not recall if after the bike running rich or lean...... and yes current set up has a custom map

Your HP is low, should be in the mid 130's stock.

Maybe it's the damned ethanol in our gas. New plugs, old air filter, 9K miles. Dyno guy said throttle response felt a little sluggish. I'll run some injector cleaner through it. Gas stations here use 10% ethanol fuel - a known power reducer.

Jeff

Your HP is low, should be in the mid 130's stock.

It also can be the dyno itself, mine came in at 127 for it's baseline as well.... The local shop is well know for showing low numbers on his dyno but if there is a dyno shoot out his bike win with record performances from that bike...

Not sure if you should put all that much into the baseline or the final number but the gains and where the gains are made...

just my $.02

• 2 weeks later...

Had the dyno tuning done today, 13 pulls. End result is 130.5 hp with 78 tq. This is not corrected for altitude - the dyno work was done at a density altitude of 5500-6000'. Baseline was 125/76 with stock setup, and was uncorrected as well. At 2% per thousand feet, this equates to 145 hp. DynoJet dyno was used. I was told of all the BBs they had tuned, mine was the strongest. (Maybe they tell everyone that?) The area under the curve is where the biggest gains are - hp falloff approaching rev limit is reduced a notoceable amount, as is area under the curve above 9000 rpm.

I was hoping to get 10-15 hp over stock, since I'd read of others seeing those gains, but I'm happy with the way the bike feels - substantially smoother and stronger than stock. I'd be happy to post the map if anyone needs one for altitude.

I had uploaded the 2 Bros full exhaust PCIII map when I installed it, and it turns out it was running lean with that map.

To repeat my mods - full Akro Sport, PAIR block-off, PCIII and K & N.

Jeff

In 91 I put a Vance & Hines system on a gixxer and got 3 hp gain from an $800 investment and went about 3 seconds faster on the track. I couple of years later I took a racing school for $360 and cut 15 seconds off my lap times.

This gets my vote for quote of the year!

I don't race but I rode 5000 miles this summer, read two books on riding technique ($40), and lost 20lbs.

Now I can slow/stop much faster. I turn faster. Transition quicker.

I come out of corners on the throttle sooner. If I wanted, I could be faster down the straights.