CBR1100XX.org Forum

Top Triple Removal for Powdercoat

sokanxx

The weather is dropping quickly now and So in a month I will start my powdercoat project. Which has gone from just the swingarm to swing arm and peg sets, and now I'm thinking of adding the top tripple (the one with the ignition) brake and clutch handles and the clipons.

But how is the best way of going about taking off the top triple, and how do I get the ignition out of it?

also does anyone have any pictures of this done?

The weather is dropping quickly now and So in a month I will start my powdercoat project. Which has gone from just the swingarm to swing arm and peg sets, and now I'm thinking of adding the top tripple (the one with the ignition) brake and clutch handles and the clipons.

But how is the best way of going about taking off the top triple, and how do I get the ignition out of it?

also does anyone have any pictures of this done?

Use the search feature, there's tonns on this topic.... :icon_angel:

Remove the bars, loosen the pinch bolts on the fork tubes, unplug ignition from harness, then use a 12mm allen to remove that cap bolt in the center of the triple, done.

The two bolts holding the ignition to the triple may have to be drilled out. The ones on my '01 were of the "tamper-proof" variety. Not a big deal once the triple is off the bike.

IPB Image

Sounds easy enough. I was wondering if those bolts were some sort of tamper proof. Did you get all your faring bolts powdercoated black? that would probibly look pretty trick on a red bike! I will be doing my triple and bars flat black to match the swing arm and frame, but like you I will leave the fork caps and the middle bolt silver. Looks like we have rain for the next week so i might get started on this project a little sooner!

Sounds easy enough. I was wondering if those bolts were some sort of tamper proof. Did you get all your faring bolts powdercoated black? that would probibly look pretty trick on a red bike! I will be doing my triple and bars flat black to match the swing arm and frame, but like you I will leave the fork caps and the middle bolt silver. Looks like we have rain for the next week so i might get started on this project a little sooner!

I have a 97, powdercoated (semi gloss black) all bolts, front and rear pegs, triple tree top, clip ons, oem brake and clutch levers, gas cap, will get some pix tonite. am to do the fork lowers and swing arm over the winter.

the thing that made the most difference was the gas cap.

I had previously polished them all but the maintenance sucked so gone the all black route along with new decals ina dark grey, it's okay so far....

cheers

as i got flamed for a year back............................... be careful whe puttin the tripple back on. you need a torque wrench and it need to be cranked to about 71 foot lbs. with that being said good luck getting off to the first time with an allen key. i hope you have a nice strong 4 foot pipe. lol