CBR1100XX.org Forum

frame plugs

lois

Just lookin on E bay, I see a set of frame plugs on there for 90$.

Has anyone found something that will work that doesn't cost like crazy???

I bought mine from Jaws on the Brit Blackbird site. It took a week to receive them, custom made for the Bird's frame, colour and fit. The price will be in Yankee $'s, $53.74. exactly Can. The exact cost is on the web site and the rate exchange will be that of the day it's posted on your credit card.

I bought a set on e-bay several weeks ago, for about $25. They are flat and have some type of flat chrome finish on them. I was going to paint them but decided they look pretty good as is.

They are not the dimpled ones, which I admit look better but I think also are way too pricey. :icon_snooty:

I can try and track down who I bought them from if you like and post a link.

I know everyones going to laugh, but here goes. Go to the hardware store and buy the chrome plugs that are used to cover the holes in a stainless steel sink. The swing arm holes require a 2.5 in plug that only comes with a screw welded in. I took a wire nut, pushed it into the swingarm axle,marked it, cut it off and then drilled and taped the wire nut. Tap the wire nut back into the hollow swingarm axle and then screw the plug in. All this sounds cheesy but they look and work great. The smaller ones just press into the frame holes. Total cost $12.00 Hope this helps Steve

I know everyones going to laugh, but here goes. Go to the hardware store and buy the chrome plugs that are used to cover the holes in a stainless steel sink. The swing arm holes require a 2.5 in plug that only comes with a screw welded in. I took a wire nut, pushed it into the swingarm axle,marked it, cut it off and then drilled and taped the wire nut. Tap the wire nut back into the hollow swingarm axle and then screw the plug in. All this sounds cheesy but they look and work great. The smaller ones just press into the frame holes. Total cost $12.00 Hope this helps Steve

Or, if you don't want chrome go to Ace Hardware and get the black rubber plugs. You'll need 3 different sizes. I think I'm in to mine $5 and a little black tape for a tight fit.

Pictures? This sounds interesting

Pictures? This sounds interesting

+1 ...ya, what he said.

The problem is that you might even need 4 sizes. Honda has at least 2 moulds for the frames, and the size of one of the larger holes varies.

I sell lots of frame-plugs, buth in steel (galvanised) and in black plastic. I always have the customer check if he has the upper larger holes in the same size, or that it differs by 2mm.

There are at least 4 types of frameplugs I am aware of:

1. black plastic (press-in)

2. metal press-in type looks like chrome, but is shiny galvanised

3. Honda-scooter part. These look exactly like the fairing-screws, but are made out of plastic. Need to be glued in

4. special made plugs by several supliers. Look great, but very expensive.

90% of my customers go for the cheap black plastic.

IPB Image

Some go for the metal press-in type.

IPB Image