CBR1100XX.org Forum

FI model fuel light inconsistent

twodealdrive

I've put over 9k on my 1999 XX this summer and in the last few weeks the low fuel light has been turning on later, with less fuel in the tank when I fill up. I didn't realize it was happening, the light always came on. I didn't know it was lighting up later and later. Then yesterday the light on the gas guage never came on and I ran out of gas. I run plenty of fuel through the system, so I didn't think gum or varnish could accumulate. Anybody else have this happen, noticing that the fuel light turns on later and later? My gas mileage hasn't changed. I'm going to add a half can of seafoam and see if that cleans things up with the fuel level sensor. Is this an indication that my low fuel sensor in the tank is going bad? I did a search and found nothing on this particular subject.

Thanks for reading.

Uh, FWIW, My 99 had the telltale FI light issue, related to the dummy plug in the harness. I did the cleaning of the plug and the blinking went away. Then I had horn/blinker failure in damp conditions (She can swim in 2 feet of water without any damage :icon_whistle: ). Chased that crap for 2 months before doing a partial teardown. The only way it went away was in cutting the plug out and splicing/soldering the wires. The instructions are in the garage somewhere, do a search for it. Bring a meter to make sure you do it right. Apparently 99/00 are the only bikes with this plug. As an added bonus, the fuel economy went up (don't know why, maybe insufficient grounding for FI system) and it runs smoother. I always gas up at the same Chevron unless I travel and always with premium so the FI doesn't have to de-tune it to avoid detonation.

I know that it's your tank light, and it might be the sensor in the tank going bad, but it's a thought and I still don't know how the damn plug affected my blinkers and horn except they share a common ground. I really didn't want to strip the insulation off the harness to make sure the ground was directed to the plug so I just guessed. Since the solder and electrical tape is considerably less than a new sensor, and I live in the damn desert and still had a corrosion problem in the plug, and it's good preventive maintenance anyway, it wouldn't hurt.

I don't claim to be an expert on anything but plumbing, so take it as one man's solution.

Johnny

My guess is that the part that triggers the low gas light is/has failed. If the needle reads true, then a part of the sensor is bad, but it's likely the whole mechanism must be replaced.

the needle does read true and I'm afraid the in-tank sensor is going, but I'll try the seafoam and see it cleans things up

I don't claim to be an expert on anything but plumbing, so take it as one man's solution.

I did the 99/00 wireharness test plug fix already. I had the FI light going on but found out it was my PCII with the older firmware.

Thanks for the idea's and tips guys. Once I find something out I'll be sure to post up any solution I find.