CBR1100XX.org Forum

please help - changing plugs on carbed model

Tetsuo

Im trying to save myself some money by changing the plugs myself on my 97 (carbed). Folowing Carlos' instructions on the main website I've run into a bit of a snag.

Carlos says "Remove the screws holding the velocity stacks over the throttle bores and remove the stacks."

Well I can see the screws on the picture but mine looks diferent, presumably because it is an older carberated model.

I've removed the bolts from the coils, I just cant see how to remove the air box from the carburators.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Jason

There are 4 phillips screws that run through clamps which hold the airbox to the carbs. There are also 2 hoses attached to the airbox, one up front, one on the right side at the back. That should be all that's holding it on at this point!

Good luck....

Alan

Tetsuo-

I have a 97, and recently went thru the ordeal of yanking the carbs & changing plugs for the first time on this bike. Once I loosened all the clamps holding the velocity stacks to the carb, the carbs still didn't want to came off. Couldn't figure out what the heck was holding them on so dearly, but finally got them off after rocking them back & forth several times. Frustrating, but "aggressive yet caressive", and they'll come off.

good luck.

I haven't done the plugs in mine yet. However, one thing I have observed doing similar jobs, is it's easier to do while the parts are warm. These rubber boots, hoses, etc., are all much more pliable when warm.

Steve