CBR1100XX.org Forum

Turning 97 Bird into a sit-up tourer?

cagey

Long-time lurker here, looking for advice. Lots of words ahead...

I have a 97 Bird w/25K mi. I bought it 5 years ago as a spur of the moment decision; I'd gone to look at a ST1100, which had sold moments before I arrived. But the seller was also selling a Bird, and after a test ride, I couldn't say no. Only notable add-ons were Heli bars and a Corbin seat (though it turns out I'm happier with the stocker).

Fast forward to today: I've put maybe 3,000 miles on it since I bought it. Part of that is because of the riding conditions here in the S. SF Bay Area (CA); mucho traffic, with large numbers of clueless and/or new drivers who frankly scare the hell out of me. I've had a M/C license since I got my first license, and ridden a lot on many different bikes over the years, so feel fairly confident of my own skills, but the number of times I've been driving to or from work (in my car) and seen another driver do something which made me think "if I'd been on a bike, in the wrong place, I wouldn't have had a chance" must number in the hundreds. So I ride only on the weekends, when my goal is to cut thru the hordes of cages to get to the wide open road ASAP.

The one thing I've never really gotten comfortable with is the riding position: all the other bikes I've owned have been ones with erect sitting positions (various dirt bikes, a 78 Gold Wing, 83 CB1100F, etc.), and when sitting hunched over on the Bird, I feel like my all-around visibility is compromised (due to my neck position, I guess). I installed convex mirror stik-ons, which help, but aren't a solution. Also, for me, at 6'3", the wind blast gets pretty unpleasant at high speeds. I bought a replacement windscreen (Zero Gravity, don't remember the model: maybe a "Sport Touring", not Double Bubble) and rode with it for a few years, but for the heck of it, I switched back to stock this year, and didn't notice much of a difference; the stock one might be a little better (but with either one, my head was planted firmly in the wind-blast-zone at freeway speeds).

This AM, I went to a local M/C shop to test ride a 94(!) ST1100 w/50K mi., with the idea of maybe trading my bird and "a little" cash to get it. The test ride was disappointing: yes, the ST had an upright seating position that helped me feel much more aware of my surroundings, but that was about the only area in which I found it superior to my Bird. Among other things, my Bird's wonderful engine put the ST's John Deere lawnmower motor to shame.

So I left, on my Bird, thinking: if I could spend the $1000 I was willing to spend on a "trade up", on my Bird, to fix the areas where I'm not happy with my Bird, why not just do that? After all, it's a paragon of power and reliability.

So, here are the areas I'd like to make changes. Note that my powertrain is 100% OEM, and as long as it's reliable, I'm perfectly happy with that; in fact, I get grins from blowing by traffic on a bike they don't hear coming up behind them.

a. Better overall wind protection, leading toward a more upright seating position: I would love the biggest, tallest windscreen possible. As big as, or bigger than the ST's. Yes, it would harm performance, and look goofy to boot, but the Bird has plenty of performance "headspace" at near-legal speeds, and I don't care if it looks strange. In my searching, it seemed like Givi makes one that's the closest to what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure it's big/tall enough. Are there any that are bigger/taller/more coverage? That are _available now_?

b. Replacement handlebars: if I manage to install a big, tall windscreen, then the next step toward achieving my goals is to get some replacement bars that let me sit up straighter. I've seen FJ1300(?) bars mentioned here. Do those work well on the Bird? Any better solutions to getting my hands positioned higher, so I don't have to hunch over?

c. High capacity luggage: I know there are a lot of choices here, but part of my $1,000 budget would need to be spent here, since I'd like to take weeklong trips. Advice on best-bang-for-the-buck setups would be appreciated.

Well, if you made it this far, thanks for reading. I'd appreciate any advice. If I were going to sell my Bird, I'd probably buy a used 1800 Goldwing or ST1300. But those cost in the neighborhood of $10,000, minus what I could sell my Bird for ($4,000 at best?). It's hard for me to justify to myself spending another $6,000 for a motorcycle which isn't a daily-driver. Of course, bikes have never been "the practical choice". But if I can turn my Bird into a "near-Wing" for $1000, I'd be very happy to keep her forever.

Cheers, Cagey

Living in S.F., that is your largest challenge! Just kidding.

Based on your requirements I would suggest the following:

1. Givi Touring Screen-you may be able to locate one on e-bay or here. I do not think they make them anymore new.

2. I have Converti-bars. They are much more adjustable that the Helis.

3. Change in front springs. I have yet to do this, but everyone who does raves about the positive difference. I think this will be my next project.

4. Head north to Napa area or even further up to Eureka, CA or even Gold Beach, OR and enjoy the beauty.

Good luck.

Guest rockmeupto125

I ain't gonna happen for $1000. Just a good sidecase and topbox setup will set you back at least $800. For those prices you are looking at something like a Ventura Rack System.

There's an outfit in Colorado that makes stupid high windscreens. The name is Clearview, and the product is quite high quality. I had one many moons ago, but a deer ate it. None of the popular windscreens readily available are going to give you the type of coverage you want. Givi and Puig make good screens, and there's a host of other decent and not so decent replacements out there...none which I've found actually work better than the stocker. A Laminar Lip type add-on will probably do more for you than anything else short of the Clearview, but even that isn't going to get you real touring protection.

Bars....LSL handlebar conversion will allow you to pick and choose the bars you want....tailor your rise and reach to wherever you want it.

There's a few ways to go to drop your pegs...do a search here.

Seat...you're close to the Corbin factory. Most folks that buy at the factory, and have a chance to have their seat custom made, are quite happy. Otherwise, there's a lot of places to get a touring saddle made...almost all great, and all pricey.

Sketchy, but a good start, I think. Hope this helps.

I have the MRA Vario Touring screen on my bike... it's about $120 or so from twistedthrottle.com, and it lets me sit upright without wind problems until I hit about 90 mph or so. I'm 6'2", 320 lbs.

I also have the VFR bars on it, and I just did the Buell peg mod about a month ago, and it made the biggest difference yet. It got rid 90% of the leg pain/cramping associated with any long distance rides.

I have the Corbin G&L seat, and that also helps with the monkey butt.

All in all, it cost me about $475

$130 for the screen, shipped

$275 for the Corbin, used.

$30 for the Buell pegs

$40 for the VFR bars.

I also got the SW Motech top and side racks for Givi luggage. All of my case came used from either eBay or list members. I think my whole setup cost about $800, which gives me a 52L topcase, and 46L side cases.

In terms of ergonomics, I'm there. I won't be doing anything else to it, except to try to peg brackets another member is having made.

A) Still looking for a something better than the stock double-bubble myself, will be looking on with interest!

B) I have the VFR bars, raised up 1/2" on the forks... Never, ever had back/shoulder/neck pain... Will likely drop them down soon since I've gotten quite used to the position (only been on the XX for 6 months, after only cruisers!)

C) JC Whitney sells 40 Liter hard luggage: lockable (mono-key), durable, exact rip-offs of GIVI luggage... $80 a-piece, with brackets. I bought 3, and using a drill, a bench vise and about $10 worth of flat steel, made a semi-permanent rack to mount the hard bag brackets - now I have 120 liters of storage (wonder how much a Wing has???) :icon_cool:

I might be in the minority here, but IMHO GIVI stuff is kinda spendy for what ya get. The JCW luggage is a very valid option.

I love the fact that my bike will do 800+ miles a day (my getting tired is the only reason I pull over) like the "touring" bikes, yet run the twisties/stoplight drags/etc. with many sportbikes.

ps - for $25, Buell XB-9 pegs are another lifesaver for long-trippin' on the bird!!

I'm pursuing the same thing. I have Helibar on my 97 XX but it's still not tall enough. I'm 5'10. I also have a Givi screen and the wind hits me from the upper chest up. I have 3 Givi hard cases.

I think I will try a set of Convertibars to get an upright riding position. Then I'll need to find a taller screen than the Givi...

I have the MRA Vario Touring screen on my bike... it's about $120 or so from twistedthrottle.com, and it lets me sit upright without wind problems until I hit about 90 mph or so. I'm 6'2", 320 lbs.

I also have the VFR bars on it, and I just did the Buell peg mod about a month ago, and it made the biggest difference yet. It got rid 90% of the leg pain/cramping associated with any long distance rides.

I have the Corbin G&L seat, and that also helps with the monkey butt.

All in all, it cost me about $475

$130 for the screen, shipped

$275 for the Corbin, used.

$30 for the Buell pegs

$40 for the VFR bars.

I also got the SW Motech top and side racks for Givi luggage. All of my case came used from either eBay or list members. I think my whole setup cost about $800, which gives me a 52L topcase, and 46L side cases.

In terms of ergonomics, I'm there. I won't be doing anything else to it, except to try to peg brackets another member is having made.

Sounds about right... The MRA VarioTouring screen is a vaild option.

A) Still looking for a something better than the stock double-bubble myself, will be looking on with interest!

B) I have the VFR bars, raised up 1/2" on the forks... Never, ever had back/shoulder/neck pain... Will likely drop them down soon since I've gotten quite used to the position (only been on the XX for 6 months, after only cruisers!)

C) JC Whitney sells 40 Liter hard luggage: lockable (mono-key), durable, exact rip-offs of GIVI luggage... $80 a-piece, with brackets. I bought 3, and using a drill, a bench vise and about $10 worth of flat steel, made a semi-permanent rack to mount the hard bag brackets - now I have 120 liters of storage (wonder how much a Wing has???) :icon_cool:

I might be in the minority here, but IMHO GIVI stuff is kinda spendy for what ya get. The JCW luggage is a very valid option.

I love the fact that my bike will do 800+ miles a day (my getting tired is the only reason I pull over) like the "touring" bikes, yet run the twisties/stoplight drags/etc. with many sportbikes.

ps - for $25, Buell XB-9 pegs are another lifesaver for long-trippin' on the bird!!

I'd like to see some pics of the JCW bags and the mounts you fabricated! Yeah the Givis are expensive, but the choices are rather limited... So are ya keepin' the JCW option a secret??? :icon_think: :icon_lol:

Luckily (I guess) for me, I can't ride any distance sitting upright 'cuz of my L5... The MRA/Corbin/Buell/VFR combo makes riding doable and relatively painless!!!

re: JCW luggage pics -

Will do - just need to finish up a minor tweak and paint the bracketsthat I mentioned!!

I promise pics directly after!!!

Hi all,

I'm grateful to all of you for your constructive advice.

Since improving wind protection is a prerequisite for any other improvements, I sorted thru the windscreen suggestions first. The most intriguing of which, after looking at their website, was Clearview, which offers significantly oversized screens (wider and taller in multiple increments) for many bikes. Unfortunately, their site doesn't mention any offerings for the CBR1100XX. On the chance they did custom jobs, I made an email inquiry; the reply just arrived:

---------------

Hello,

Unfortunately nothing for the Blackbird, sorry.

I had a Blackbird for about 5 years, nice bike.

Thanks

John

Clearview Shields

---------------

So it looks like that leaves only many choices in the "not much taller than stock" category:

1. Givi (a web search yielded a number of online shops that at least claim to sell it): $105.

2. Airblade: $55 (Ebay) height looks fairly good (double bubble design)

3. Puig: $65 (Ebay) uncertain

4. Memphis Shade: $60 (Ebay) doesn't look too promising

5. Zero Grav Double Bubble: $70 (Ebay)

6. MRA TouringScreen Windshield: $95 (twistedthrottle)

7. MRA VarioTouringScreen Windshield: $140 (twistedthrottle); same basic screen as #6(?), with a spoiler

8. Lockhart Speedscreen: $42 (mopedshop.com ?!) "Each Speedscreen is made from a mold taken from a stock windscreen..."

Based on the comments in this and earlier threads, and my past experience with the ZG Sport Touring screen, which the Giva seems to resemble, my best guess is: the MRA Vario.

Does TwistedThrottle have seasonal sales worth waiting for?

bpg: I too am interested in the JCW bags and seeing how you mounted them!

If you go with an MRA, go with the VarioTouring.... that little spoiler is what pops the wind up over my head. It's adjustable, and the difference between it's lowest setting and it's highest setting is incredible. I have it in the second to highest setting, and it moves the air perfectly.

Don't forget to take a look at the PowerBronze wind screen.

Extra Tall and Extra Thick

I have had mine for 4 years and I love it tho I have been told it looks way to tall for the Bird.

"Way too tall" sounds ok to me. :icon_angel: But my web searches aren't yielding any retail sources stocking any of their XX screens here in the USA. Any idea where they're sold (aside from the classified section)? Also, is the "DOUBLE BUBBLE - AIRFLOW SCREEN" the one you're recommending? I see that one on Ebay (albeit from a UK seller), but there may be other Powerbronze models available that I'm not seeing.

From the forum archives ( http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...20pegs&st=0 ), I found similar-view photos of two of the candidates:

Airblade: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/apolloxx/stand1.jpg

Powerbronze: http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/gallery/11...327_40_7435.jpg

From these very comparable photos, the two look quite similar in height. Anyone have photos of the Givi and MRA Vario screens from the same angle? Most helpful would be a whole-bike view, which IMHO gives better size perspective; I've found the more common manufacturer's close-up photos to be very unhelpful when trying to answer the question "how big/tall screen is this screen, really?"

Thanks for this thread. I am thinking the same way as far as making the XX more comfortable. I ordered the Vario Touring Shield today. I will put in my .02 when I have some time w/ it.

I've raised my stock bars to the top of the fork tubes already, had a seat built, put on a set of Buell pegs. I have tried a windscreen or two, but want more wind protection. I'm hoping the Vario will do it.

I have thought about changing bikes, but after having the XX all this time it's hard to be excited about anything else. I spent some time on an '06 FJR and was impressed w/ it, but it wasn't my XX.

Now I'm looking to replace the rear shock. I think Ohlin would be the way to go, but they are expensive. I've already done some fork work and that was a great improvement. So the Ohlin would probably be worth it in the end.

Keep the comments coming. Will give my thoughts on the Vario when it comes.

MTXX

+1 on the Vario.

I have the same setup as OrganDonor (but I donated a piano) less the luggage - mine is soft-sided. It was comfy enough for three 800+ mile days in a row on the front end of my 5400 mile trip to NH and back this summer. The Vario lets you adjust the dead-air bubble, so if you're in traffic, you can get a little breeze if you want to.

I thought I saw a post recently that stated that the VFR Helis would fit the XX (probably with brake line mods). That would give you additional up and back from even the VFR stockers - I don't know about windscreen interference, especially with an aftermarket screen. My VFR bars come very close to the Vario.

I had a Corbin for a while, but it was too wide for me - I had issues with tiptoeing at stoplights. I had my stock seat re-done by Sargent to my specs. I love it.

Even at 5'6", my knees ache after a while 'cause they're shot from pounding around the Caribbean on boats. I couldn't believe the difference the Buell pegs made.

I went with the Ohlins (NIB from a list member), but folks rave about the group buy they made - was it Wilbers? Less $$ and more adjustability, iirc. I did RaceTech springs and Gold compression valves up front, it made all the little chatter bumps go away. Fairly inexpensive, and I needed to change fork oil anyways.

Every new model year, I go ride some new bikes, thinking "this is the year" that I'm going to jump on a new ride. Each time, I ride away from the dealerships wondering why I bother - the XX is a great machine, and I have it almost exactly the way I want it now. Last year it was the K1200S, the year before it was a K1200GT. I'm not turning my nose up at those bikes, but the XX is almost the equal of each - in some respects the better - and the Beemers are playing on two separate fields. The XX bridges the gap and plays well to nearly both extremes of the spectrum that it takes two BMWs cover.

With the Vario, you'll see a lot of K1200GT riders doing double-takes - with the bigger screen and the XX's mirror integrated turn signals like the GT, they frequently make the mistake of thinking that you are on a German machine.

I have a stock '02 shield on my '00 XX for everyday use. It's a little taller with a little bubble. For long road trips, I add a Laminar Lip. Works great.

I hadda Givi and took it off cause of the helmet lift and buffeting and I got raised bars.

All those shields you listed are not going where you wanna go. Expecially if you lift them bars up enough to go to a "standard riding position. And if you do that I don't know how the pegs will work.

And if you lift them bars and get a big windshield you are gonna have a strange looking bike.

You can probably pick up some of those big Givi bags second hand and that'll really set off the tall w/s (If you find one...maybe just buy one from JC Whitney and mount it in front of the stocker) :icon_biggrin:

You really need another bike. IMO. You can really only go so far modifying these specialized bikes before it becomes counter productive...for instance, if you were to get some kinda tall screen on the Bird you could very well eat it if you used the Bird's power and speed.

I hadda Givi and took it off cause of the helmet lift and buffeting and I got raised bars.

All those shields you listed are not going where you wanna go. Expecially if you lift them bars up enough to go to a "standard riding position. And if you do that I don't know how the pegs will work.

And if you lift them bars and get a big windshield you are gonna have a strange looking bike.

You can probably pick up some of those big Givi bags second hand and that'll really set off the tall w/s (If you find one...maybe just buy one from JC Whitney and mount it in front of the stocker) :icon_biggrin:

You really need another bike. IMO. You can really only go so far modifying these specialized bikes before it becomes counter productive...for instance, if you were to get some kinda tall screen on the Bird you could very well eat it if you used the Bird's power and speed.

OK.?.?.? :icon_think:

Update on new windscreen.

I installed the Vario Touring screen tonight and got to put a couple of miles on. It is not an ST or FJR, but in it's highest position it has a lot more protection than does my Lockhart/Phillips screen. In the lowest position it is about the same even though it is higher. In the higher positions there is very little air hitting chest, shoulders of upper arms. When tucking in there is alot more dead air over the tank.

I was testing it w/ a strong side wind so it is hard to tell exactly how it's going to be. I did run it up to about 120 mph and there was not the usual lift and tug on the helmet. I need to spend some time w/ it, but my riding season may be at an end. (snow tonight) I think I'm going to like it though.

I may be able to post some pics if anyone is interested. You'ld have to excuse the dirty 'Bird.

MTXX

In the highest position, where did the wind hit you by sitting normally? And how tall are you?

Thanks.

Update on new windscreen.

I installed the Vario Touring screen tonight and got to put a couple of miles on. It is not an ST or FJR, but in it's highest position it has a lot more protection than does my Lockhart/Phillips screen. In the lowest position it is about the same even though it is higher. In the higher positions there is very little air hitting chest, shoulders of upper arms. When tucking in there is alot more dead air over the tank.

I was testing it w/ a strong side wind so it is hard to tell exactly how it's going to be. I did run it up to about 120 mph and there was not the usual lift and tug on the helmet. I need to spend some time w/ it, but my riding season may be at an end. (snow tonight) I think I'm going to like it though.

I may be able to post some pics if anyone is interested. You'ld have to excuse the dirty 'Bird.

MTXX

With the very limited time I had to test, it seemed to be hitting me about mid-helmet. I am 5'10'', custom seat that may sit a little lower and bars raised to the top of the fork tubes.

MTXX

With the very limited time I had to test, it seemed to be hitting me about mid-helmet. I am 5'10'', custom seat that may sit a little lower and bars raised to the top of the fork tubes.

MTXX

I'm 6'2", and the wind hits me in the face, but not really that much in my chest. I have it set to the next to highest setting... the highest setting caused a lot of buffeting with my lid (which takes a lot, as I have a Schuberth with the "spoiler" on it.) With my HJC cheapo lid it was I went crazy.

MTXX

Thanks. I'm also 5'10. With my Helibar and Givi screen, the wind hits me about from my neck up.

I'm 6'0 (used to be when younger anyway), 32" inseam, with Heli's or Convertibars on and stock seat the Vario (set at the highest angle) lets the wind hit me around the middle of the shield and chin area of my Arai, with little or no buffeting till about 90 or so. You do need to wear earplugs for the wind noise but at least most of the windblast is directed over your shoulders, at a normal riding position (without ducking). I rode this last weekend in damp 40 degree weather and did find that I had to wear a neck gator to keep my neck and neckstrap area from freezing. It's a good piece but not perfect. :icon_whistle: