CBR1100XX.org Forum

Frnt end replacement

lois

Has any one replaced the front end (complete) with one from another bike? I have heard that an RC51-CBR600-F4 front end has the same size head brgs and will bolt up.

B S or has someone tried this/ done this??

A few different people have sccessfully swapped front ends. I've seen CBR1000RR forks, RC51 forks and I personally have Hayabusa forks on mine.

IPB Image

I believe the CBR1000RR fork legs are quite a bit shorter and would required a dropped upper triple clamp. I honestly never dug into the RC51 forks.

The Busa forks are almost the exact length as the XX forks and are designed to carry a bike with almost the same weight as the Bird. The triples require special bearings and new steering stops must be fabricated.

I've converted to an RC51 front end and brakes and OZcrow has done it as well. It's not a bolt on conversion, machine work is required as well as de-linking the brakes. Personally, the end result was worth the effort but it's no small undertaking. If you want a little more info, search in the pub for a thread on:

"Who's made what drastic changes to their XX's"

A few different people have sccessfully swapped front ends. I've seen CBR1000RR forks, RC51 forks and I personally have Hayabusa forks on mine.

IPB Image

I believe the CBR1000RR fork legs are quite a bit shorter and would required a dropped upper triple clamp. I honestly never dug into the RC51 forks.

The Busa forks are almost the exact length as the XX forks and are designed to carry a bike with almost the same weight as the Bird. The triples require special bearings and new steering stops must be fabricated.

Damn fine job on your ride man! Need a winter project?? :icon_wink:

IPB Image

Jeff, you may well have the HOTTEST Blackbird in the world..... the wheels, that exhaust, the muted paint, the Heavy Bus forks, triple-piston calipers w/ Wave rotors....

....and that Fireblade rear cowl, holy jeeze..... :icon_clap:

Is that exhaust hangar carbon fiber, or powder-coated aluminum, or... ?

IPB Image

Awesome Blackbird, man am I jealous. Great job on all the mods. :icon_clap:

While I am not sure about the fireblade tail (which for sure adds lightnes), the paintjob is crazy.

Will it look as good in mat blue. I've seen a Hornet 600 (599 to you) in original mat blue and it was awesome. :icon_think:

Damn fine job on your ride man! Need a winter project?? :icon_wink:

Sure, bring yours over and by spring I might have it done. :icon_wink:

Jeff, you may well have the HOTTEST Blackbird in the world..... the wheels, that exhaust, the muted paint, the Heavy Bus forks, triple-piston calipers w/ Wave rotors....

....and that Fireblade rear cowl, holy jeeze..... :icon_clap:

Is that exhaust hangar carbon fiber, or powder-coated aluminum, or... ?

Awe Dale, you got me all choked up over here.

The hanger that's wrapped around the can, is carbon fiber. The support braket I made out of 1/8" steel flat-stock.

While I am not sure about the fireblade tail (which for sure adds lightnes), the paintjob is crazy.

Will it look as good in mat blue. I've seen a Hornet 600 (599 to you) in original mat blue and it was awesome. :icon_think:

That is a fine example of flat-black, rattle-can paint. Krylon Camo if I remember correctly.

Wow your XX looks fast! job well done. I was curious though, what type of exhaust is that?

That is an Arka Sport full-exhaust that was bought from RedJ. Awesome construction, power, and the sound is soooo........ sweet.

IPB Image

------------------------------------

Nice looking bike, great job!

Oh, and I have a 954 front end on mine. (929 works as a bolt on too)

If I can ask, how much work is involved in swapping on a set of 954 forks to the 'bird?

I presume it at least means new brake calipers and probably the wheel, correct? Do the

fork tubes mount in the stock 'bird triple tree, or does that have to be swapped, too. What

all is required? Thanks.

Pretty much took an entire 954 front end and bolted it up to mine. It will be a little shorter than the stock XX front end but if you take everything and swap it over, it is easy. (triples, forks, wheel, axle, rotors, calipers.. you see what I mean.) I wish I knew the exact amount it lowered the front end, but I don't, sorry.

Thanks for the clarification. Do you think the amount it is lower is equivalent to what many do

here, i.e. drop the stock front a cm or so? Do you find there's any instability due to the shorter

fork length, such as a tendancy to head shake? Also, will the 'bird master cylinder work with the

954 calipers, or is the 954 master cylinder required?

I've converted to an RC51 front end and brakes and OZcrow has done it as well. It's not a bolt on conversion, machine work is required as well as de-linking the brakes. Personally, the end result was worth the effort but it's no small undertaking. If you want a little more info, search in the pub for a thread on:

Yep sure have.

IPB Image

Yep sure have.

IPB Image

Now this is one clean looking bike....

I like the busa front end on Brydman's ride as well, the fireblade rear tail section is a very nice touch.

Lots to think about, thanks for the in put so far...