CBR1100XX.org Forum

stripper lesson

rossh

draining the tank and adding seafoam did not stop the stumbling i also checked the safety switch on the kickstand visually it looked good.the stumbling has become almost constant the engine actually dies and i have to pop the clutch to restart. the tach also will bury itself past the redline.i want to check the plug wires but need to strip the fairings.can anyone give me the order to remove the fairings?

2001 redbird. would it be the battery if the bike starts fine and all gauges work fine with the exception of the tach which jumps up and goes past redline as the stumble happens then back to 0 when the engine dies?

• 2 weeks later...

draining the tank and adding seafoam did not stop the stumbling i also checked the safety switch on the kickstand visually it looked good.the stumbling has become almost constant the engine actually dies and i have to pop the clutch to restart. the tach also will bury itself past the redline.i want to check the plug wires but need to strip the fairings.can anyone give me the order to remove the fairings?

You can do that but I think the problem still lies with water in the system. If you want check the elec system for water in case it is arking/shorting somewhere. The metheldydrate they use in canada works great for this sort of problem. Drain bowls/fuel system and tank completely, add fuel and try again

This is an electrical problem that you are having. Not fuel related being that it's affecting the tach. You may have a defective battery that either has a plate in it that shorts out or a loose major electrical connection that reacts when the bike is in motion. Go over the electrical system with a fine tooth comb. If the battery is OEM, replace it. It's 5+ years old. Check charging voltage, check that the soleinoid is mounted and not bouncing around. Go over it and let us know what you find.

If you did't have an electrical problem before you probably do not have one now. It's my understanding that water got into the tank and outside area. Water in the fuel will cause stumbling, surging and stalling. Check that all electrical is dry. Drain fuel and ad fresh stuff. Add gas line antifreeze. keep us posted.

If you did't have an electrical problem before you probably do not have one now. It's my understanding that water got into the tank and outside area. Water in the fuel will cause stumbling, surging and stalling. Check that all electrical is dry. Drain fuel and ad fresh stuff. Add gas line antifreeze. keep us posted.

Regarding the fooked up tach, this is very likely a problem related to your electrical system.

The exact same thing happened to a friend of a mine (on a car with electrical tach). In that

case, it was simply a blown fuse! Go figure! :icon_cool: So I recommend that you check the

fuses and look for bad electric connections and faulty wires.. Electrical probs are a bitch, hope

you figure it out! :icon_confused: