CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Question - Master Link

02XXCA

I was online looking for a new DID chain and it seems like alot of the sites use a clip type master link. What is safer clipped or pressed type link? Do you feel confident with a clip?

Go with the riveted master link. I wouldn't use a clip type retainer on anything over 250 cc.

Really, on a DID? No way o the ZVM or ZVM2. 'Might as well use a Zip Tie!

A lot of guys are ok with them on lighter bikes, but why trust something that isn't as strong on something that is important as the chain. If a chain fails, your FUCKED!

Thanks for all the replies. I once used a clip link on a 750CC bike but I'm errored on the side of safety. I ordered the new x-ring chain and a spare pressed link. Hope to get it before next weekend as a ride to Wintrhop is in order. The fall colors should be nice.

If a chain fails, your FUCKED!

really? I might order two or three then.. been a while for me since I am married and my sex life is that of a monks.

Seriously though, Griff is right. I wouldn't trust a clip style link..

errrr why not?

Can anyone link those pictures Warchild posted of his case? Or that chain missing something on Northman's bike?

Clips just don't seem to stay together on bigger, high horsepower bikes.

The price is the same when you order the chain, and the stake tool is $100.00.

I don't know why anyone would risk the damage, or injury, to save such a small amount of money.

Of course I still inspect my staked link after each ride.

Edit:

Was it Warchild or Red J that had a chain damage the case. Anyway, search was not my friend. But the pictures posted of the failure will make you put the staked link on.

I would use a clip link only in as a temporary fix. It would be safe so long as you don't push your luck as a properly installed clip link should not come free for no reason.

When I order a chain, I get two rivit-master links (a spare) unless I already have a correct-sized spare one on hand.

Just in case a repair I have to do mandates removing the chain I don't have to pay for a new link and wait for it to arrive by UPS.

You can get a rivit link off by just grinding the heads off, and you can put one on with c-clamps and a flaring punch and hammer, but it's a lot more work than a decent chain link tool. Last one I put on was a breeze compared to the old way I did it.