CBR1100XX.org Forum

Automatic HIgh beams in the rain

county

So, I'm riding back to Memphis in the rain yesterday (from Eureka Springs, AR)...300 long wet miles.

And, after a gas stop I look down and see my high beam lite is on, so I look at the switch and it's showing low beam. So I filp the switch to high beam and then back to low beam and the indicator lite goes off.

Anyway, a hundred or so miles later I see it's on again (after another stop) so I flip the switch on and then off and it goes out again.

So I get into W. Memphis, AR and it's raining so hard that I can't hardly see and interstate traffic is slowed down to like 35 MPH and I figure I'll get a bit more visible so I turn on the high beam and leave it on til I get home (This is daylight).

When I get to the house I check the lamp(s) and both high and low are on, I switch off high, only low is on, I play with switch and all seems to work...WTF?

How's that lamp working with the switch off?

Anybody else experience this?

Not with high beams,but I did have aproblem with my turn signals .I was riding in what seems to be a monsoon,turn signals stoped working.As far as high beams,I`m not sure,I ride with my high beams pretty much all the times during the day unless I`m in a steath mode ( massive speeding) or following the cop.

I got the turn signal issue with heavy rain last year. Blew it out with compressed air, taking the switch off first, no problem since. (and I had purchased a replacement L hand switch just in case.) I wonder if, being on the same switch, if it might be the same problem?

I also have an OEM switch set up sitting in a box on the shelf if you have a bad issue with it. Let me know.

EDIT: Although..... automatic high beams in the rain is kind of cool. Something some German designer might have thought of. :icon_think: