CBR1100XX.org Forum

great way to check your spark

XXSTAR

if you are wantting to check your spark try this.

take a jumper cable put one end on the nut of the spark plug attach to

other end to the frame or a ground, plug the spark plug wire to the spark

start the engine. this way you don't have to hold the spark plug the the engine

pertty neat

'tis true... Modern ignition ramps voltage up until it's enough to jump the spark gap, then it releases... This is part of why spark plugs last so long these days... it's not always just blowing 100% spark at the plugs, but rather, when combustion pressures are higher (WOT and such) is when it blows the strongest spark, because at higher pressure, it's harder to jump the gap. You're doing much the same thing when you do as you're talking about... if it's not a GOOD STRONG connection to ground, depending on how bad the connection is, it may be maxing out the coils to try and make that much spark, and cooking them. Some cars' manuals actually say specifically not to do what you're talking about (like I know the mid 90's mustangs do, for instance, because I read it when we were doing the head gaskets on Kristen's mustang)... They actually sell a piece that you hook to a chassis ground and hook the plug wire up to, and it makes the spark...

Mike

Attach a timing light to a plug wire and turn over the engine is a good way to test the coil and plug. Mike do you see any flaws in this test method?

FYI Mike seems to really know his shit. Also understands cars/bikes/etc.

Attach a timing light to a plug wire and turn over the engine is a good way to test the coil and plug. Mike do you see any flaws in this test method?

FYI Mike seems to really know his shit. Also understands cars/bikes/etc.

It is a good way to test the coil for sure, but I'm not sure about the plug... A timing light works the same way an inductive current meter works, by clamping around the wire and reading the magnetic inductance (magnetic field the current in the wire creates... it works like an electromagnet, except not as many coils, so not as magnetic, and the poles are rotational... nevermind... different topic) in the wire... This inductance is caused by current, which you'd think would still be there, even if the plug is fouled, but since the coil doesn't have to make enough juice to jump the spark gap, only enough to overcome the resistor in the plug, I don't know that there'd be enough instantanious current to trip the timing light... So, if your plug is fouled, even if your coil is good, it might not light the timing light...

AT worse case though, it doesn't take much time to do, and it'll at least tell you if spark is not the problem...

Mike

bunch of pussies..

Pull the plug out and leave it in the boot. Stick out your tongue and hit the starter button..

Don't have to buy any fancy gadgets and all that bullshit. Its just like testing out a 9V battery when you were kids. :icon_lol:

***disclaimer*** if your fucking stupid enough to listen to my advice and actually try what I say than you need to be taken out of the gene pool anyways. The Krypt Keeper in no way accepts the responsibility of your actions in which serious harm or death may and probably will occur. :icon_twisted:

***disclaimer*** if your fucking stupid enough to listen to my advice and actually try what I say than you need to be taken out of the gene pool anyways. The Krypt Keeper in no way accepts the responsibility of your actions in which serious harm or death may and probably will occur. :icon_twisted:

New sig line?

bunch of pussies..

Pull the plug out and leave it in the boot. Stick out your tongue and hit the starter button..

Don't have to buy any fancy gadgets and all that bullshit. Its just like testing out a 9V battery when you were kids. :icon_lol:

Is the disclaimer a joke, or do you think there is someone out there that stupid? :icon_lol: (no names mentioned :icon_shifty: )

doing it with the jumper cable you can see the color of the spark.

yellow= bad

blue= good

putting your tongue to it is the best way to test it, another way is the bubby way, piss on it.

also you can piss on a eletric fence to see if it is hot, before you cross over it

no disclaimer need for this one try it you will like it.