CBR1100XX.org Forum

I'm Ready for the Silly Gas

sokanxx

I have finally got my XX all set up the way I want it. And damn it runs good! This winter I will powder coat my swing arm black and then be done with the XX. But before I do that I want to put a little shot of Nitrous on the XX. Nothing Crazy big, maybe like a 20 or 30 shot. You know just enough to make it fair if i get in a fight with a Hayabusa. I am rarely beat by Busa's not because the XX is faster but that most Busa riders in the area just arnt that good of riders. Any ways I was hopeing someone here could lay out a shopping list for me of what the best NO2 system would be for my XX. Its a stock engine with 2Bros Carbon fiber slipons, a K&N filter, and DynoJet Stage 1 jet kit. I've also geared 16T in the front. I want a system that will just give me a little bump when i need it. What system have you guys that shoot NO2 use, or did you build your own. I am just looking to know just what i need. I have searched nitrous on the forum and found plenty of talk about it ,but i could not find the kit used or the components to build my own kit. Thanks

No thanks I'm thinking 30 will get the job done just fine. If i cant run someone down on the XX with a 30 shot I will shake their hand and say they have a fast bike! Oh I forgot to mention it before but this is my street bike I put on about 13,000 miles a year so it needs to still run really good even when i'm not spraying

Dude,

You are in the same boat as I'm in for project spray. Quess what else? You're Fucked but good. Look your bike over closely from a short distance away. Now tell me where your going to mount the bottle? That's the problem that I have dug into. You're still running dual exhaust ( slip on's ? ) and there's the biggest problem. In the area where the left side can is happens to be the only viable place to mount a bottle at the correct angle.

There is one other option that I have been eyeballing though and that it to mount a pair of 9oz bottles under the seat. One will fit in place with no modification on the left side if the tool kit hump, but 9 oz is litterly 15 seconds of spray time with a 30 HP dry shot. What I was going to do was a little bit of rear fender modification and fabrification to fit another 9 oz bottle or possibly a single 1 lb bottle. The bottles will have to be mounted with the valve facing backwards and no internal siphon tubes. Then you'll need a nitrous soleinoid, a dry nitrous nozzle and jet, a good 20A relay, and way to trigger the system. A nitrous filter inline from the bottle to the soleinoid is also suggested . If you go with a dual bottle set up, you'll have to tee them together with a manifold of some sort too.

Welcome to my headache.

If I were running a single sided exhaust, it would all be easy and I could mount a 1.5 lb bottle off the swingarm but nothing is easy in my garage.

I am actually thinking I could fab a very simple brakcet that would bolt to the rear frame. I was thinking on the right side through the hole on the rear faring and to the rear frame. I believe with a little work i could put one super slim 10oz bottle. The second 10 ozbottle would go in the tool spot under the seat like you were talking. The left side hole is filled with the grab handle to put the bike on the centerstand but the right hand side between the faring and silencer would be a perfect spot. Tell me if you see a problem with this idea. is there a kit that all the parts come in? and do you have an idea of what a set up like you speak of would cost.

Alrighty here's what the deal is from my recent research.

I have been looking into this idea for about a month now and I also spoke with Furbird a little on the subject. The biggest problem is bottle mounting for us XX owners. A 10 oz bottle ( like a sneaky Pete bottle ) is too long measuring in at 16.5 inches to mount under the seat. You can fit a 2" diameter bottle in there but it can't be more than 11.5" long. That bottle must not use a siphon tube and you have to mount it with the valve facing backwards so when you accelerate, the nitrous in the bottle in a licquid state sloshes backwards. That's the same reason why you can't mount a 1 lb or 2 lb bottle along the rear fairings. It's leaning in the wrong direction. If you wanted to hide a bottle in a "dummy" muffler, again, the angle is backwards. When you deal with the angle being backwards , you'll never get anything more than just gas from the bottle, hence , it won't run right. You want licquid from the bottle, not gas and in order to get that, the bottle has to be oriented in the correct direction and angle. I have been banging my head against a wall :icon_wall: :icon_wall: :icon_wall: for over 3 weeks now trying to work this out. The possibilities are few to none. But if you have a single side exhaust, then you can correctly mount the bottle on the rear swing arm on the left side at the correct angle. Another thing that you want to keep in mind is that you will want to be able to remove the bottle(s) for refilling. For instance, if you are filling the little bottles from lets say a 10 lb bottle, you need to do a few things first in order to get a good fill. First thing is that you can apply a vacuum pump to the empty little bottle to remove the air that's in there. Secondly , you will get a more complete fill if you chill the bottle in the freezer before refilling it. These two steps are as about as effective as you can be if you aren't using a pump station to do your refills.

I just want a little 30 shot. Enough to put me into the 9's at the track and get kicked off for not being NHRA licensed.

First off let me tell you that is the best reason ive heard for wanting the nitrous!

Other wise I hang my head in shame because I think your right. I was more worried about hooking it all up, I never imagined the bottle would be the biggest problem! And my idea of one sneaky pete off my custom bracket is not enough juice to even bother! maybe I will do some finagglin and see if there is a way to make that bracket idea hold two bottles.

First off let me tell you that is the best reason ive heard for wanting the nitrous!

Other wise I hang my head in shame because I think your right. I was more worried about hooking it all up, I never imagined the bottle would be the biggest problem! And my idea of one sneaky pete off my custom bracket is not enough juice to even bother! maybe I will do some finagglin and see if there is a way to make that bracket idea hold two bottles.

I have an idea that I'm going to try once I get the peices parts. I have the soleinoid and the relay already. I may just sink a 1 lb bottle into the rear fender or use a pair of 8 oz bottles mounted in a simialr fashion. I'm totally hell bent on doing this and if you ask anyone who's worked on bikes with me they'll tell you that I can be anal about doing things to a decent degree of quality. I'll keep everyone updated about what I come up with and I'll post pics as well. I be the test bed on this idea. Just hang back a little and wait.

Adam

Thanks man I cant wait. take plenty of pictures please! and keep a list of the stuff you use I am anxious to get the spray on my XX.

Dude,

I just realized something. You have a 97' XX right ?? If you do, it's going to get a bit more complex. Your bike is carbed , not injected. You shouldn't be doing a dry shot on a carbed bike. You'll need to do a wet kit with fogger nozzles (4). The plumbing gets a lot more involved when you go that route. You'll need a small fuel pump, a fuel pressure safety switch, a arming switch and a hit switch, and a few other little things.

Being that my bike is an 01' , I can use a dry shot safely up 30 hp. The AIT sensor will see the instantly cold air charge ( when on the spray ) and will richen up the mixture. I can also adjust the map on my PCIII so as between 7K-11K , it can run a given percentage more rich to compensate.

Y'all are overlooking one real good place to mount your bottle.

Pull your fuel tank up. Look down into that cavernous hole in front of the shock. Mount the bottle up with the siphon tube facing rearward. You might want to wrap the bottle with heat insulation to regulate the temp and not get a pressure rise. Don't tell me it won't fit. I've seen an 02 bird with one mounted in just that spot. If you want to be sneaky, cover it with something black and then hide your nitrous line inside some of that black plastic electrical wiring cover. Nobody looks under the fuel tank for a bottle. Rewire your horn button to activate the nitrous relay.

If you're going to stretch the bike, mount the bottle on the swingarm right behind the shock. You can make a bracket to hold the bottle in the space where your rear tire used to be.

You can run a dry shot on an injected bike because of the air temp sensor. If you've got a power commander, you can richen up the fuel from say 7K up at 100% throttle opening. Leave the settings alone for the rest of the map below 100% throttle because you won't spray unless WOT and you won't notice anthing different on normal rides. On a carbed bike, jet your carbs rich if you don't want a wet system. If you jet your carbs rich, you won't have as much power when not spraying because your A/F ratio will be off. Any way you look at it, you'll probably be better off with a wet system and an ignition retard unit.

this bike is stock it has a two part shot 45 and 120 it is a NOS system. he has been run it for 2 yrs. and told me NOS will not hurt the engine. the only way is to over rev the engine. he said he has never see nos hurt a motorcycle engine

post-2605-1158892100_thumb.jpg

this bike is stock it has a two part shot 45 and 120 it is a NOS system. he has been run it for 2 yrs. and told me NOS will not hurt the engine. the only way is to over rev the engine. he said he has never see nos hurt a motorcycle engine

That bike looks awfully familiar to me. Did you talk to him much? Is his name Brian?

just telling you what he said.

if the system is set up right and you don,t over rev the engine I don't think this will happen.

you can do what you said without NOS.

I have been to many bike drags. I have not seen but 2 burn piston. but you are

right it can happen. but most of the time it is due to the sys. malfunctioning or the racer

going to lean.

165 hp worth of nitrous on a stock motor? :icon_duh:

Sounds like a guy I met at the track one night with a stock mustang and nothing at all done to it.

That car spun the tires the entire length of the track. I guess that gigantic bottle in the back was

original equipment on a 5.0 :icon_rolleyes:

Not at all flaming you, just saying don't believe everything you hear. :icon_wink:

Yea, most engines will tolerate more than you'd think. Kent Stotz runs a stock bottom end with his 500+HP turbocharged monster. Nitrous, when used properly, won't hurt much. If you spray 250Hp worth of nitrous in an engine that wasn't built for it, then you're asking for trouble. If you loose your fuel solenoid, plug a line, etc..... to upset the A?F ratio when spraying, that's when bad things happen. If everything is working right, the only thing it'll do is make more power within the limits of the engine.

That's got to be Brian. I haven't seen it since he repainted it. He races in Hunstville all the time and is one of the few Honda drag racers around here. He runs the 2 stage nitrous with 120 total HP and has a PC3 and a PC2 on that bike. He used the PC3 for fuel control and the PC2 for spark control. He did all the work to the bike and is a real good guy.

The stock ring lands fail at about 230 hp according to Stotz, who boosted one until it blew to see what it would hold. Forged pistons and the rest stock I think held until around 400 or so. Now that's boost, not nitrous, and boost is gradual, not instant. No way that guy is running 160 shot on a stock motor, I don't care if it's 3 stages. Not happening. That's 320 hp at the crank on the bottle. My nitrous crazy ass wouldn't even ride that bike!

Beondwacko and I have been in serious talks about how to mount his bottles, and I did recommend the under the tank thing. I'm even considering moving my 2 pounder under there myself, as I know it will fit. The thing is the refills. I always have mine done with a station, as that freeze the bottle and vaccuum trick works, but is inaccurate and time consuming as you have to heat the bottle back up. I can get mine filled and leave the hot rod shop on the juice. So that means leaving the bike at home, removing the bottle, and taking it up there to be filled. Of course, I have 2 bottles, so I could get away with it, but you have to limit your passes when you do that because you don't want to let the secret out. It's all a trade-off.

Well, he runs a PC2 and a PC3 like I said. He has stretched it 8" and has lowered it. He runs an Ohlins rear shock that was custom setup for drag racing for him. He runs a 2 stage Nitrous setup with 40 horsepower on the first stage and 80 on the second stage. The last time I talked to him, he was just using the first stage and holding off on the second unless it was close on the big end. He runs an EFR Racing lockup clutch and a Micky Thompson MCR2 rear tire. He's got a couple sprocket combinations that he can change when running the 1/8th or 1/4 mile. He's got an air shifter with integrated ignition kill for button shifting. An extended tailsection and fuel cell just like Stotz runs graces the bike as well. I'm probably forgetting a bunch of stuff, but that's it in a nutshell. He's spent countless hours and trips to the track tuning it. I've ridden this bike when is still saw street duty before he stretched it. When it was still stock, I raced him several times. He'd take me off the line every time, but I'd reel him back in and be dead even with him in the 1/8th and pass him in the 1/4.