CBR1100XX.org Forum

Givi Wingrack 2

Toynut

I recently purchased a Wingrack 2 from a fellow forum member who only had it mounted on his bike for a short time (EBay).

I was wondering if anyone has mounted just the lower brackets (upright cast pieces), without the top luggage plate? I am not sure that I want to install a top box on the bike and would like to keep the bike's original aesthetics as much as possible.

Or (looks aside), should I install the top plate to connect the upper halves solidly, and add some additional rigidity to the entire unit.

The instruction set is marginal at best(1 page).

Did anyone find that the supplied bushings that fit between the rear grab bar and the Givi cross piece to be too short as supplied?

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give.

I have the Wingrack 2 system.

The top case carrier bolts on with 2 L-shaped pieces that bolt into the side plates. It's not needed.

Your mounting kit should make you mount to the exhaust system supports and the rear handle behind the seat.

I will advise you to replace all cap bolts that don't come with a locking nut with longer ones 1/2" longer that you can add a locking nut to (the four under the seat and 2-4 more on the wingrack). I had several bolts vibrate loose after 100 miles in spite of how much I tightened them. You may have to shop around for the bolts since they may not be available in your average hardware store.

If you already have the top plate and plan to keep the rack mounted on the bike, install it anway unless you have a reason not to. It would not be necessary to have the top plate I am thinking but it is convenient to have the top plate so you can have a single case if needed.

Did anyone find that the supplied bushings that fit between the rear grab bar and the Givi cross piece to be too short as supplied?

Yes, they are a little short. But if they were too long you would have a hell of a job mounting the set without any help of somebody else. If you mount them this was, you will close the small gap that is left by tightening the bolts. If you got the chance, make some extra spacers if you can, because you will probably lose some when installing/uninstalling the monorack. The disadvantage of the Monorack 2 is that you need to uninstall it everytime you need to tyake of the tail fairing-piece.