CBR1100XX.org Forum

Proper way to store motorcycle

Rales

I have a 883R yes harley lol it was my first bought bike, I keep it in my living room as it is nice looking and has very little chrome!!! Anyways, I keep it inside and try to ride it once every 3 months or so. I want to be able to store it for longer as I no long put plates on it. In the past I will ride it every 3 months or so and run the gas completly out of it, then refill to the top and add in sea foam and allow it to mix througly and run it for about 5-10 minutes to try and get it into the carb bowls. I fill the gas tank completly so to resist rust in theory. As for the engine I just have the normal oil in it. Like I said before it is stored in my living room that stays a constant 70 degrees. Am I missing anything I should do to make sure this bike stays in tip top shape while its being stored? I would like to think when I am 70 or 80 I will enjoy it again or atleast be able to sell it for some nice cash as its 100 aniversary. I'm 22 now so its going to be a while :icon_lol:

I keep it in my living room as it is nice looking and has very little chrome!!!

It must be a Florida thing. :icon_rolleyes: Are you related to K-tard???

Damn now thats just brutal. No actully I keep the Harley inside as the Garage already has the Race car, XX and RC-51, the sun room has the 2 dirt bikes and the dog cage. I keep the harley indoors because I never ride it and people look funny when a nice looking harley is inside.

My "drill" in Wisconsin is to fill the tank, turn off the fuel petcock, run it till it stalls out (Carbs are dry), and put it up off the floor on wood blocks (off the concrete if you can). Also I remove the batteries and take them indoors.

- well I guess frozen batteries in your living room in Florida.... Yeah - just drain the carbs so they don't "varnish".

Your Sportster will be just fine as indoor art... in fact, it'll ensure true two-wheled ambience in your living room.

Seriously, if you intend to leave it there for several years... I'd recommend removing the battery, draining all fluids (except brake & fork fluids - although most museums will drain them too), and getting it up off the tires (frame support) - they'll go flat if you don't monitor the air pressure. In time, even in an indoor climate controlled environment, rubber will dry rot.