CBR1100XX.org Forum

D.I.D. Chains 50VM vs. 50ZVM

Warp11XX

So :icon_wall: I've got about 3K+ miles on my new 50VM chain that I installed with new Sunstar sprockets. I started looking around at the D.I.D. website and saw the chart that says the only recommended chain for the Bird is a 50ZVM. :icon_mad: No option listed for using the one I got. Am I just looking at a shorter lifespan for the VM chain or is there a real problem with using it?

It won't last as long, that is for sure. It really is under-rated for the bird but if you not really canning it it should be safe enough. If you ride hard, get rid of it, not just for your safety, it can lunch the engine cases easily. If it was me, I'd ditch it just for the 'piece of mind'.

Actually, they are recommending the ZVM2 for the Bird. Stronger than the ZVM.

Like Dave said, ride smart and keep a strong eye out for it.

And that's why I always order myself, double-check the order when it gets in, and do as much maintenance myself.

Good luck.

I've been putting too much faith in my parts guy since he gets me the same deals as mail order and I don't have to pay shipping. The manufacturers/wholesalers seem to ship to him in about a third of the time they ship to me residential too. I actually do all my own maintenance except for tire changes. I just didn't notice that there was a difference in VM and ZVM until a few days ago. I don't ride too hard as a general rule. Very rare to see daylight under the front tire and I've never spun the back tire at all. Got 18,000 out of the OEM chain. :icon_rolleyes: That "peace of mind" thing is a nagging little monkey though.... :icon_think:

So :icon_wall: I've got about 3K+ miles on my new 50VM chain that I installed with new Sunstar sprockets. I started looking around at the D.I.D. website and saw the chart that says the only recommended chain for the Bird is a 50ZVM. :icon_mad: No option listed for using the one I got. Am I just looking at a shorter lifespan for the VM chain or is there a real problem with using it?

I believe the 50VM chain is the OEM part that Honda would fit, it is fine and will not be a problem, if you look at the DID website you will see there is very little difference in the VM and ZVM2 specs, it is considerably cheaper, I have one on mine.

ZVM was replaced by ZVM2 ,I think.You will only get half of the mileage with VM.

I used VM on Yamaha YZF 1000,lighter bike with smaller motor,it was toast after 12 k miles.

I˛ve been getting low 20˛s from ZVM on my xx,now I run ZVM2.