CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dual Star Heated Grips question

blkbrdrydr

Do I need the Heavy Wall Shrink Tubing for the left side grip?

I understand that the handlebars are steel in the area and Dual Star does not recommend using that tubing on steel bars. However, I've noticed that some members of this group HAVE used that tubing.

Was that additional step needed in the past before Dual Star added extra wiring to the left side?

Do I need the Heavy Wall Shrink Tubing for the left side grip?

I understand that the handlebars are steel in the area and Dual Star does not recommend using that tubing on steel bars. However, I've noticed that some members of this group HAVE used that tubing.

Was that additional step needed in the past before Dual Star added extra wiring to the left side?

I've never used the heatshrink insulator on all of the ones I've installed. The grips get equally warm; you'll notice the clutch side has more windings than the throttle side. Other than making damn sure everything's clean, no additional steps are necessary. I put 30,000 miles on mine this way with zero failures.

I've never used the heatshrink insulator on all of the ones I've installed. The grips get equally warm;

+1

I did put some electrical tape, but I don't think I needed to. I want to get a better, marine, waterproof switch though. The switch that is supplied is fine, but where I have it mounted to my handlebars gets bumped by my tank bag when fueling. When it is 90F out, I do not need grip heaters. :icon_duh:

When it's COLD out I wish I had put something between the heater and the bar. The leftside grip does seem to take a fair amount of time longer for it to warm up. The Right side always seems a bit hotter too.

Next time I change the grips I'm going to use something between the bar and the heater.

When it's COLD out I wish I had put something between the heater and the bar. The leftside grip does seem to take a fair amount of time longer for it to warm up. The Right side always seems a bit hotter too.

Next time I change the grips I'm going to use something between the bar and the heater.

+1... When it's above about 35, they both feel about the same, but when it's down in the 20's the left takes a lot longer to heat up, and doens't get as hot as the right...

Mike

+1... When it's above about 35, they both feel about the same, but when it's down in the 20's the left takes a lot longer to heat up, and doens't get as hot as the right...

Mike

WOW... I'm surprised to learn that the double wiring on the left side and the fact that OEM handlebars are steel underneath the grips isn't enough to provide for equal heat on each side.

Thanks for the input

Like I said, they're about even down to about 35, but below that is where that side gets colder... Steel doesn't conduct heat as well as aluminum or copper, but it still conducts heat, especially when you're heating one side of it to 110F and the other side is 20F...

Mike

• 1 month later...

Bill,

I went to Harbor Freight and bought their Shrink Wrap sampler pack 1" down to 3/8" in (I believe) 4' rolls... Used the 1" on the left bar. The left side heats up nicely now... Much warmer and faster than without.

Did you get the Heat Troller accessory?

Yes, but if to do over again i would not, i would just do the high/low/off switch and save the $...

I just built a better mousetrap for cold weather riding that's better than heated grips so that in fact u proabably don't even need heated grips. I ride now in cold weather w my normal warm weather gloves no problem.

The heated grips are an extra bonus for that warm bliss. I would use high to get grips to warm up quickly and low to maintain w new setup, otherwise it gets too hot in there.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/RidingAccessories.html (scroll down a bit to Moose Paws)

They install ez on XX, protect hands/lower forearms (and any gaps between gloves / sleeve) and collapse at full turning lock.

The tricky part was keeping the openings really open at speed in case u pull your hands out (ez part) and getting them back in quickly (obvious safety issue). No problem, all u need is:

2 empty 5-quart ice cream pails (i used strawberry swirl on left side, chocolate chip on right side)

4 small zip ties

1 scissors

1 phillips screwdriver

If anybody is interested, i can tell u how i did it. It's really simple and works really great, best by far i've done for cold weather.

p.s. Important safety tips, don't use the wifes good sewing scissors and DON'T eat the rest of her chocolate chip ice cream w/o replacing :icon_doh: , trust me...

B out...

FWIW, I added heated grips that I bought from Aerostitch (don't remember the brand) and the right gets a lot warmer than the left, in fact it gets downright hot. When I called them about this I was told that heated grips are made for the right (throttle) to be warmer than the left. On my other bike with factory heated grips there isn't much difference but the right does seem to get a bit warmer.