CBR1100XX.org Forum

Welding forged Sidestands

OZDave

With the Wilbers shock being 5mm longer and the Eibach springs in the front and the sags being set correctly, the bike leans over a long way on the side stand. It is really bothering me. I have a lot of experience with steel fabrication and welding but not with structural work. Are there any experts who have an opinion on lengthening the stand. The strain must be enormous now because of the extra leverage on the stand, and any extra length would reduce the leverage. I believe this would counteract any weakening caused by welding in a spacer.

I have thought about other options such as attaching (wiring, riveting, glueing) a rubber block to the base, Welding a thick base plate to the existing foot. I believe it would need to be too thick to be a viable option.

Surely this must be a common problem? I tried a search but no luck. All internet searches come up with is stuff for Harleys, BMW's, and Falco's.

I am sick of; looking for dips to park the back wheel in, concrete to put the stand on, checking for soft asphalt etc.

C'mon genius's, pony up with some ideas. :icon_pray:

Just a side comment, those weak pissy pipe types seem to work on other bikes.

First, I confess, I can't seem to get my bike on the centre stand. I always have to have someone to help me. I know, it's downright foolish and I know there's just a technique that I haven't mastered, "in five years". That being said, when I park my bike, at work, at home, when travelling, I carry a piece of 1 X 4 X 6 and place my centre stand on it. I know this is more or less ridiculous, but it works for me. This, of course, doesn't solve your delemma, but it's a temporary solution. Do you have, use, your centre stand?

It can be welded. IF it were cast iron, I'd stray away, but because it's forged steel, with good heat penetration you'll be fine. Being that you are going to extend the side stand, why not just make up a little foot the same size as the one that's one the stand and drill/tap the hole to screw on an extension? Use some 10/32 screws ( nice and small but still strong ) and threadlock them in there.

My $0.02

BTW,

I'm on the other side of the arguement. I have to shorten mine by about an inch. I'll have mine TIG welded nice and strong.

Wow, I get to comment on three posts at once.

Dave first.

Should be no problems extending the stand. Were I doing the job, I'd get another stand and section that one, filling the space with a like sized space from the sacrifical stand. If at all concerned about strength, one could drill the extension piece through and through and the original pieces counterbored, then fit it all together over a hard steel dowel. I would do the extention down near the bottom rather than up top as the bending moment should be less down there.

Canada, there is a simple technique to getting the bird, or any bike, onto the center stand. Don't try to lift the bike up onto it. Rather exert all your force rearward while maintaining good pressure on the foot piece. The bike, even laden with 70 lbs of luggage as mine frequently is, will roll right up. First time I did this, I gave a mighty heave and the darn bike slid backwards about a foot. Now, it's just a gentle shove and up she goes.

Adam, your solution is really simple, cut off foot and grind flush again. Cut off stand the appropriate amount from the bottom and then re-attach foot. You won't even need to be concerned about weld quality.

In both cases, good mechanical practice calls for grinding a V-notch at the weld points to insure good penetration. I would tend to favor TIG or MIG welding over stick for this with a good post purge to avoid hydrogen embrittlement.

Adam, your solution is really simple, cut off foot and grind flush again. Cut off stand the appropriate amount from the bottom and then re-attach foot. You won't even need to be concerned about weld quality.

I made mine shorter using my stick welder a couple of years ago. Works great.

I cut an inch out of mine near the foot to lower it and welded the foot back on. For when the bike's not lowered, I drilled a hole in the foot and added a spacer. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the cutting and welding just to increase the length. Drill a hole in the foot, make a spacer of your liking, bolt it up using taper headed bolts and countersink the hole on the bottom to make the bolt flush. Works like a charm and doesn't make any weak spots in the sidestand.

I cut an inch out of mine near the foot to lower it and welded the foot back on. For when the bike's not lowered, I drilled a hole in the foot and added a spacer. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the cutting and welding just to increase the length. Drill a hole in the foot, make a spacer of your liking, bolt it up using taper headed bolts and countersink the hole on the bottom to make the bolt flush. Works like a charm and doesn't make any weak spots in the sidestand.

You've got me interested. I think I'll gve that a try first. :icon_think: Thanks.

OK...here is the first try.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The base is 10mm Mild steel. It is welded around the rim and should not effect the properties of the steel. I haven't fitted it to the bike yet so I can't comment on how it sits. Going to do it now. If I need more height I can pad weld more on to the base easily now. As a side issue; I am interested to see if the spring can support the extra weight over rough roads.

I did the same thing. I call it "Frankenstand" It's been fine for over a year.

Frankenstand :icon_lol: Good name, now I can't get it out of my head.

BTW it made a huge difference. I nearly threw it over on it's right side the first time I lifted it of the stand. It has taken a lot of weight and stress off the stand. I thought it may have needed a little more height but it seems OK as it is. And I thought it looked good until....Frankenstand! :icon_lol: Bastard!

OZDAVE,

That must be one of those one-off, factory experimental, high dollar, pre-production, prototype pieces.

Excellent engineering.

Now if you could just do a little with the final body and paint work. You know, some guy might look at it and complain about the finish.