CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dead R/R wanted

mikesail

I would like a dead regulator rectifier assembly from an XX. I want to see what the failure mechanism is, and consider the best approach to remedy this weakness. There is no good reason for this component to fail, as a circuit designer I get a bit frustrated with hearing of so many failures.

So if anyone would care to send me a dead unit, I'll pay postage, then I will embark on a study and inform the group of the results. Maybe do some good for all.

I wouldn't mind having several so let me know if you've one at hand.

I don't have a failed one, yet. Mine is of the large variety with the fins on it. I would really like to adjust its output lower though. Mine puts our 14.57 volts at anything above about 3.5K and I think it is the direct contributer to my Yuasa sealed battery failure. I can handle a soldering iron but have never been very good at circuit analysis. I'd love to be able to tweak mine to get it down into the 13.8-14.1 volt cutoff range.

I don't have a failed one, yet. Mine is of the large variety with the fins on it. I would really like to adjust its output lower though. Mine puts our 14.57 volts at anything above about 3.5K and I think it is the direct contributer to my Yuasa sealed battery failure. I can handle a soldering iron but have never been very good at circuit analysis. I'd love to be able to tweak mine to get it down into the 13.8-14.1 volt cutoff range.

14.5 seems pretty high. Any voltage drop in the R/R ground connection will cause the output voltage to rise by the same amount as the ground drop, so you might check to see that the unit is well grounded.

Changing the regulated voltage should be simple in concept, unless they built a fully integrated device, which is unlikely. If the unit is potted it may be impractical to get inside to modify.

If the circuit is a complete hash, I might cobble up a new design. Once did this for a British car of mine.