CBR1100XX.org Forum

Which R/R ?

Tricky1100XX

Ok I put a new battery on and it runs just fine.I was driving my 98 xx and the digital voltmeter I have hooked to my bike started to read 11.4 V. It was reading 13.4+ when I first started out riding but as time went by,the voltage dropped.I unhooked the regulator to my surprise the plastic connector was burnt and melting on 2 of the 3 connections for the yellow wire.Im thinking just replace the R/R and ride,but with which one? I hear the R1 R/R is much better than the Honda one but what year R/R off of a R1 do I use? The Electrosport fauly finder is really good but once I got to the part where you had to disconnect the stator wires,I was lost.I have a manual too.So instead of posting over and over the same questions,I would like to list the questions I'd like to ask at this time..

1-Is it the regulator?

2-What year R1 regulator can I use with my 98 Bird?

3-I have a manual but is the stator really as easy to replace as take the cover off,unbolt the old bolt the new,put cover back oon?

4-Will oil come gushing out when I try to replace the stator?

If you knew what I went through with this bike,look at past forums and you'll see,its sad. Please help me,I wanna ride without worry cause I love my Bird but I am SERIOUSLY thinking about trading it for a Busa! I love my Honda though!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What you're describing is pretty classic R/R failure. The crispy wires are the give away. The R1 way is, in fact, the ultimate fix. Someone else is going to have to tell you which year, etc., but you can search it here and come up with the info. I didn't use the R1, simply because I had to have it right fricken now, and the rewiring can be a hassle. I bought an aftermarket R/R from the local parts house, and it hasn't given me an ounce of trouble, but it's also got the cooling fins and such on it. Just make sure if you go aftermarket, you don't buy one for a CBR600. The book says they're the same for some of the aftermarket manufacturers, but it's really not, and you'll be replacing it in a year or so.

As for the 'busa- nice bike, but it didn't fit me in size or potential squidlyness. Don't go to the dark side, Luke. :icon_nono:

It's a 2001 Yamaha R1 regulator that is recommended as best. Do a search for the topic in the Garage here. IIRC, we had a good discussion on it sometime around February or March of this year. I know I posted the Yamaha part number, the fact that THE place to get it is from Gary at University Motors, his contact info, AND a link to a great article on the R1 mod (within which is a link to an article by the same guy on why and how R/Rs fail, along with the tell tale diagnostics). Not that all of this hasn't been discussed here before or since, but I recall that thread as a pretty good symopsis that'll probably answer all your R/R questions, including the pros and cons of doing the mod.

EDIT to add link to that thread:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...mp;hl=regulator

and to the two articles I mentioned:

http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/bikes/...a/dead_reg.html

http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/bikes/...eg_replace.html