CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rain stalls bird

RxxB3

My 98 xx dies in the rain. The guy I bought the bike from didn't mention this problem????? hmmmm?

I've taken it to the dealer twice (three times actually, but I don't think the first shop gave an honest effort to fix it). The second shop connected a lose ground wire and said that was the problem. It rained on the way home from the shop and the bike stalled as I turned into my driveway.

I took it back to the shop and they called Honda. Honda sid they had never heard of this problem but told the shop to take all the plastic off and power wash it which the shop did but the bike did not stall. So now the dealer has about half a grand of my money and I have a broken bird.

I took all the plastic off power washed every inch while its running and it won't stall. But every time I ride and it rains starts to sputter and dies when my rpms drop. I've found I can keep it going by closing the choke to up the rpms. The bike only dies when it's being ridden in the rain.

I've read of a few xx owners with this exact problem but none have solved it that I know of. Anyone know the answer?

Your problem sounds very strange. The only thing that comes in mind to me is something to do with the air induction, lift your tank and pull your air box lid and look for any problems in thier. I don't think that is the problem but that is were I would start. :icon_wall:

Your problem sounds very strange. The only thing that comes in mind to me is something to do with the air induction, lift your tank and pull your air box lid and look for any problems in thier. I don't think that is the problem but that is were I would start. :icon_wall:

And when you take it apart, check the angle of the air intakes. Make sure they are in the absolute correct position, and not out of place AT ALL. You shouldn't be able to get them, or any part of the air intake out of place, but if they are, water will- over a longer ride, maybe even a shorter ride- pool in the low spot of the intake and then the engine is sucking in that water that collects on a gradual basis, just enough to mess up your fuel mix and stall the bike.

How about this, your coils are located at the top/frnt of the engine.....maybe as your riding it is throwing enough water up over the rad to ground out your coils????

Just the engine, lights etc keep working?

Does it start right back up when you try?

Just the engine, lights etc keep working?

Does it start right back up when you try?

I usually can wait a few minutes and it will start back up depending on how rainy it is. But once I start riding it will die again. The lights keep working. It will crank but not start.

I thought the same thing. I've actualy used the water hose to shoot water from below up both the air intake vents and even after about twenty minutes of this it wouldn't stall. Right now I've got the tank off an will pul the air box tomorrow.

How about this, your coils are located at the top/frnt of the engine.....maybe as your riding it is throwing enough water up over the rad to ground out your coils????

I've shot quite a lot of water from below into the engine compartment. I only have a side stand because of my pipe so I've wondered if it needs to sit upright when I do this.

And when you take it apart, check the angle of the air intakes. Make sure they are in the absolute correct position, and not out of place AT ALL. You shouldn't be able to get them, or any part of the air intake out of place, but if they are, water will- over a longer ride, maybe even a shorter ride- pool in the low spot of the intake and then the engine is sucking in that water that collects on a gradual basis, just enough to mess up your fuel mix and stall the bike.

I'll recheck the airbox.

I had a guy this summer tell me this same scenareo this summer about his 98 or 99 superhawk. I powerwached that thing for 40 minutes and the thing never quit. I was unable to fix his problem. so while i know your frustration and have heard of this type of thing happening with hondas unfortunatly i can not offer any suggestios for a cure

Sometimes while riding in the slow traffic ,in the rain, my bike misfires ( like working only on 2-3 cylinders ) in 1-4 k rpm.Just to make more confusing it never happends when the traffic goes fast.Go figure.I`m guessing it has something to do how the water spray flows thru the bike.

Maybe water fills spark plug hole and prevents it from firing.I had that problem on Volvo when I powerwashed the engine.

It is hard to diagnose,but I would say it is ignition problem.

Alot of folks here know I had the same issue with my carb'd '97. I'm most definately certain that it was a Venturi failure issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi

That's my best guess anyways :icon_confused: . I sold mine after that started happening. I need to ride 24/7 rain or shine and didn't have time to scew with it anymore. I still miss that bike though. WABIT.

I think i know the answer!

I know I'm gonna get alotta flack for saying this but I think the problem is the K & N AIR FILTER.

I know 1 million bikers use em but..

It's the only solution that explains all the sympyoms.

so I ordered a stock Honda filter today (32 bones). It'll be here in 5 days then I'll wait / pray for rain.

props for helping Flitemdic, Obby, Sokanaxx, Lois, Tomek, Canadian Bird and Bandit XX

I think you're on to something with the K&N, but maybe for the wrong reason.

When was the LAST TIME you cleaned it and reoiled it (using the K&N recharge kit)?

I say that because if your filter gets plugged up (happens faster in rain from the damp air), you get an airflow restriction and the bike stalls until the filter dries out enough to let enough air for combustion flow through again.

POWERWASHING WILL NOT SIMULATE THIS. You might get it to repeat itself on a rainy day if it idles/runs in the driveway.

I suspect your K&N is overdue for a recharge treatment (kit is about $35 at most auto parts stores that sell K&N). Puttin in the clean, new Honda filter should confirm this.

I doubt that,honestly,my K&n is clean anyway.

I would think that stock,paper like filter would be more affected by water then K&N as far as the flow .Remember,K&N is sort of "wet" anyway.Second thing,intake runners,those between the nose and airbox have chambers that extend something like 10 inches down,any water would end up right there.

Besides, clogged air filter reduces pressure inside of the airbox,but FI XX ( my bike is 99) has a sensor there so it should be taken care of.

I think it is electric,ignition problem,It is time for me to replace spark plugs wires anyway,maybe the problem will go away.

BTW rode in the rain this morning,no misfire,go figure,but I`m not loosing a sleep over this little thing.

I think i know the answer!

I know I'm gonna get alotta flack for saying this but I think the problem is the K & N AIR FILTER.

I know 1 million bikers use em but..

It's the only solution that explains all the sympyoms.

so I ordered a stock Honda filter today (32 bones). It'll be here in 5 days then I'll wait / pray for rain.

props for helping Flitemdic, Obby, Sokanaxx, Lois, Tomek, Canadian Bird and Bandit XX

I think your on to something....

I bought Obby's 97 XX and I changed out the K&N for a stock filter shortly after I brought the bike to Phoenix for dust reasons. About 4 weeks ago I rode in a heavy rain storm for about 30-40 mintues and no problems. I did make sure to change out all vent hoses on the fuel tank and made sure the drain holes in the air box were open when I installed the stock filter.

I don't think it is the K&N filter. I threw mine out and went back to an OEM before my last big ride. It rained hard one morning and was very humid, the bike barely started and wouldn't idle properly.

Me thinks it is the wires. If they are a bit older they can be cracked, any moisture gets in and the spark is next to impossible to make. Check the wires ( they are not cheap) if they are older try replacing them first and see if that helps.

My $.02

Brian

Another thing to remember. When your are driving down the road in the rain, there is a lot of water getting thrown up on the engine, the radiator and the pipes. It gets turned into steam which goes everywhere and gets into everything. If it gets into the electrical system, it can short the system out and shut the motor off. If you wait a couple of minutes, the engine heat will dry it out and the bike will start.

It is easy to test for no spark or ignition if you install a short piece of test wire on the ignition wires that you can tape off but still access when it happens without having to take the side covers off.

It really sounds like moisture is the problem.

Hi all,

I'm from Malaysia.Just bought a '97 BB.Previous owner did inform me of the problem bike is facing.Same as Rxxb3 and obby's previous BB.Have changed the vacuum hoses and plug cables but still no improvement.Could it be the K& N filter fitted??

I hope so because my next step is to replace all the vacuum hoses. I'll let you know.

Another thing to remember. When your are driving down the road in the rain, there is a lot of water getting thrown up on the engine, the radiator and the pipes. It gets turned into steam which goes everywhere and gets into everything. If it gets into the electrical system, it can short the system out and shut the motor off. If you wait a couple of minutes, the engine heat will dry it out and the bike will start.

It is easy to test for no spark or ignition if you install a short piece of test wire on the ignition wires that you can tape off but still access when it happens without having to take the side covers off.

I thought that too. So I've gotten the engine hot then hosed the engine to create steam under the bike while soaking the rest of the bike too and even after 20 minutes or so it never even burped.

how do you do the test wire on the ignition?

If you haven't done so, post this issue on the Brit site.

Do you know any Brit sites off hand?

I thought that too. So I've gotten the engine hot then hosed the engine to create steam under the bike while soaking the rest of the bike too and even after 20 minutes or so it never even burped.

how do you do the test wire on the ignition?

If you haven't done so, post this issue on the Brit site.

Do you know any Brit sites off hand?

Try http://www.ixxra.com/ and http://www.bikersoracle.com/blackbird/forum/ :icon_wink: