CBR1100XX.org Forum

BT20 vs. BT12SS

Elefant

I've got 5k miles off the original rear BT57. Looks like the front can probably do another ~3k. I was thinking about a BT12SS and then switch them both front BT57 and rear BT12SS but winter is approaching so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the handling of the BT12SS in cold tarmac when compared to the BT20.

Hi,

two quite different tyres. No experience of the 12 on an XX , used them on a ZX11, IMHO not a cold / wet weather tyre. Best for winter was BT010 & now BT014 both again on ZX11 (Life 3.5Kmls rear, 7K front). Get good temp in them in less than a mile, and winter here is 4 months of under 10degC + rain. I know a few folks running a BT014 Front / BT020 rear combo on the ZX11 & they seem to be happy.

With tyres (tires!) being relatively cheap these days it might be worth going for the full set of 020's if you value mileage or the 014s if you want a fairly instant warm-up. The problem with a part worn front (57) is that the tread blocks are smaller & therefore wontt move around as much. It is this movement that largely contributes to heating the tyre & giving optimum grip.

Hope this helps

John

Wow I learn something new every day...

People accually put Bridgestone tires on there bikes... :icon_whistle:

Especially when Honda put them on the Blackbird originally...

Mine came with BT-57... :icon_sick:

I've never ridden on a Bridgestone, but a lot members think they suck. Based on my experience and those of others I'll be riding Michelin Pilot Powers for a long time.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...c=37446&hl=

I've never ridden on a Bridgestone, but a lot members think they suck. Based on my experience and those of others I'll be riding Michelin Pilot Powers for a long time.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...c=37446&hl=

What can I say... I've been riding many many years and gone down twice. Once at the track and once out of a blind exit 90 degree corner. Both times I was on Michelins. And nearly lost it quite a few times. So I won't touch Michelins again with a 200' pole. Good marketing or not. Besides, they're french!!

Bought BT10s when they first came out and didn't like them. BT57s that came with the bike seem ok.

The 012SS is a pure sport tire and will evaporate after just a few k on the back. Not much sticks better though and they're very predictable. They're up to temp in an instant and are one of the best tires I've seen in the cold and wet. If you're on the slab at all it will flatten out in the centre in no time. Not really for the XX unless you want to slap a set on at the track.

If you put the 020 on the front, you run a very high risk that it will cup, and cup badly. You may get lucky, but don't count on it. No experience with it on the back.

good luck

marty

The 012SS is a pure sport tire and will evaporate after just a few k on the back. Not much sticks better though and they're very predictable. They're up to temp in an instant and are one of the best tires I've seen in the cold and wet. If you're on the slab at all it will flatten out in the centre in no time. Not really for the XX unless you want to slap a set on at the track.

If you put the 020 on the front, you run a very high risk that it will cup, and cup badly. You may get lucky, but don't count on it. No experience with it on the back.

good luck

marty

Had a bunch of BT20's also Bt 14's great tires.

The 20's are good choice for Bird if you are not into butting your Knee down alot but, want more miles out of them.

The 14's are sportier but, you wont get as many miles before there cooked.

I just installed my 3rd set of 020's and they work for me. I replace tires every year, approx 25-30,000 kms per year, mostly highway touring, I can bearly get my knee down to pick up a nickle off the floor let alone on the Bird. I don't ride during the winter months, Nov-Feb, or commute to work any more. I did use Pilot Sports but they didn't last long. I'm a conservative rider. I will try a different brand next year, Avon's or Conti's or the like. It seems to me that tires, like oil, is a strongly oppinionated topic. My 2 cents worth. Cheers, enjoy your long weekend.

The purpose of the question was to find a Bstone that would go until the front B57 needs replacement (about 2-3k miles?) and hopefully change both (old 57 front and new rear) at the same time late winter or early spring. I don't want to throw away a perfectly good front. Not just the $. There is enough trash out there already. I will commute in the winter as long as it is above freezing. 20 miles of interstate each way. So regardless of mileage, which one is a better (grip) winter COLD tire? The 12S or the 14?

The purpose of the question was to find a Bstone that would go until the front B57 needs replacement (about 2-3k miles?) and hopefully change both (old 57 front and new rear) at the same time late winter or early spring. I don't want to throw away a perfectly good front. Not just the $. There is enough trash out there already. I will commute in the winter as long as it is above freezing. 20 miles of interstate each way. So regardless of mileage, which one is a better (grip) winter COLD tire? The 12S or the 14?

The BT 20's are closer to the BT 57' , designed to be good traction with higher mileage.

The 10's,12, 14s are sticker sport tires, but will get less mileage regardless of how you use them.

I would use the 20's for touring/comuting.

I have used in the past with good results a BT 20 rear and BT14 front.

From what you discribe you ""need "out of the tire, the 12 isnt a wise option as is a sport/track day/warm weather tire.

If you put a 12 rear on now, you may need two new tires when the front 57 is gone.

Again ...put a BT20 on the rear, you will be happy with it for 5-6000 miles instead of 3500 miles out of a 12/14 rear

[attachmentid=3000] Good info on the proper BT020 fitment. If for heavens sake these do not work,smack me w/ the keyboard.Then go to bridgestone www.bikersoracle.com/jaws/bridgestone.htme and link it for him please,then feel free to berate my skill level.

Thanks, I run BT 020's and for my type and style they feel comfortable, predictable, and safe for me. I would choose another tire but not another style of Bridgestone. I've notice that as I finish the 5th year of riding a Blackbird and take pride in riding 99,000 + kms during the summer, spring, and fall seasons I've come to recognize, what I believe, are the short commings of this magnificant motorcycle; and also realize why we love this bike so much. I would add a bike to my stable before I would get rid of my Bird. One of my next goals it to begin my next 100,000 kms. Maybe you might put that tire on e-bay :icon_wink:

Excellent article from my perspective. cheers