CBR1100XX.org Forum

chain tools - cheap/decent quality??

bpg

What's a decent-priced, decently-built chain tool? I can cut/hack/torch the old chain off, so I'm only looking for something to press the side plates on when I install the new chain.

The cheapest I've seen is a little Motion Pro press for around $20 that claims it will work on 530 chains, but it looks a little chintzy...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

The cheapest I've seen is a little Motion Pro press for around $20 that claims it will work on 530 chains, but it looks a little chintzy...

$20? Or $120.

I have the $120ish chain tool from Motion Pro and it works fine. I think Speed99 bought the heavy duty one and he likes it a lot.

Mine works great, no problems. All I do is Dremmel off the head before I push through the link. It makes the job a lot easier. Then again, I'd probably do that if I had the really-super heavy duty one.

sorry, $25...

:icon_whistle:

IPB Image

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item....;WT.MC_ID=80003

Like I said, I just need to press the new chain, would this or a similar tool work fine for that?

I borrowed one of the much more expensive MP breaker/presses before, it was admittedly very heavy-duty -but for $120??!??? I mean, some guys just use plain ol' Vice-Grips for the pressing portion of a chain job, LOL! (not that I believe that's a good idea!)

Anyway, guess I should change the question - would anyone NOT use the chain press I pictured/linked to?

Thanks!!

Guest rockmeupto125

Bren....the tool you pictured here is only to press on the sideplate....its used for the clip type master links. You would need a tool that will actually expand the pins. The force needed is substantial, and a device capable of that is going to be at least a $60 bill.

What are you planning to do to the bike? Will it make it to NeXXT? Chain tools will be plentiful there, along with expert assistance in basic and not so basic maintainance.

OK, thanks Joe - that's what I needed to know!

Yes, sliding the axle a bit past the "replace chain" marks will give me proper tension to make it to NEXXT... Sounds like a plan!

Guest rockmeupto125

If you only need to move past the replace chain marks to make you happy, that's fine. But if your chain is showing profound wear such as kinking or loose/tight sections, be aware that you're doing damage to your sprockets as well.

If you plan on replacing sprockets with chain, no problem. If you plan on replacing just the front, you should be okay, because rear sprockets are notoriously tough. Fronts should be replaced with each chain, truthfully.

When are you arriving at NeXXT?

If you plan on replacing just the front, you should be okay, because rear sprockets are notoriously tough. Fronts should be replaced with each chain, truthfully.

And just a tip on front sprockets. I bought an AFAM that works fine, but I wish I had bought the stock Honda front sprocket. It comes with dampening material attached that reduces chain noise a bit.

I'd planned on replacing the stock front sprocket and the chain at one time, yes... It IS starting to show (well, sound) evidence of a frozen link... FWIW, I just exceeded the "replace chain" mark at last adjustment. Ordering the new stuff tonight!

I will likely arrive at NEXXT Fri night, not sure how late...

I just bought a Pro motion at Cycle gear for less than a hundred bucks. VERY cool machine. You can use it for lots of other things around the garage if no one is looking... :icon_whistle:

I will be interested in having some of you comparing my pressed in rivets to some done "professionally" or guaranteed "correctly"

I offered to put a chain on a buddy's tl1000 but he declined.