CBR1100XX.org Forum

Spools

lois

I keep seeing pics of birds with rear spools. I would like to get rid of my C stand....but want to check with you guys first. Have you guys welded some on or whats the deal....thanks

Back there the swingarm is fairly thick aluminum. I drilled and taped an 8MM hole and simply threaded the spools into the swingarm.

Be careful though, there's a few strengthening ribs extruded into the swingarm beams. Might be better if you didn't drill and try to tap into one of them. :icon_wink:

Back there the swingarm is fairly thick aluminum. I drilled and taped an 8MM hole and simply threaded the spools into the swingarm.

Be careful though, there's a few strengthening ribs extruded into the swingarm beams. Might be better if you didn't drill and try to tap into one of them. :icon_wink:

Ok, do you have a pic as to where you drilled...or a rough messurment as to where you put your hole....I mean the one in the swing arm :icon_redface:

I was just thinking about doing the same thing. I think I'm going to have to weld some little claws on my pitbull stand to grab the spools.

I looked into that as well, I got a buddy who welds Aluminum for a living...if I don't go that route I was gonna modify my hindle stand to lift on the swing arms. Ya Ya Ya, I could just buy another rear stand, but that would start cuttin into my beer fund....I mean really :icon_drunks:

My pitbull shand has tabs that lift it from the swing arm, but it doesn't stay put when I'm working on the bike. came off the stand once and the tab scarred up my swing arm pretty good. If you're gonna use a stand, I'd DEFINITELY go spools.

My pitbull shand has tabs that lift it from the swing arm, but it doesn't stay put when I'm working on the bike. came off the stand once and the tab scarred up my swing arm pretty good. If you're gonna use a stand, I'd DEFINITELY go spools.

I was wondering about that...f@*k it, I'l go with the drilled hole or weld on's cause if my bike ever came off the stand I'd have to hang myself in the basement :icon_frown:

Doesn't your Pit Bull have plastic on the lifting tabs? My (non pit bull does) and it never moves or slides when I work on it. Do you have the 6mm shim in the rear? That would make your swing arm at more of a angle.

Yes and Yes. It has rubber on the parts that contact the swing arm and I have the 6mm shock shim. I even thought of just tapping a bolt into the bottom of the swing arm to act as a stop on the lifting tabs.

Anyone got suggestions for a good location to tap for spools?