CBR1100XX.org Forum

Metzeler M1 Rear to Z6 Rear

HamrTym

Been running M-1's front and rear for about a year (5 month down time due rebuild). Skill level is slowly building up with time. I'd guess I'm better than Novice, but not a pro by any means.

Rear M-1 is shot due to flat spotting the center 'cause of Florida. Enough said. Switching to a Z-6 rear. My question is how much traction am I really losing? Never felt like I was near the limits of the Z-1, but then again, how would I know.

Any experiences from switch from M1 to Z6, please kind to post up. Or just Z6 rear experiences in general are welcome. From reading, some people love the M-1/Z-6 combo just great.

Thanks.

If you never felt that you were EVEN close to pushing the M1 to the limit, then I'd say you won't have any issues with the Z6. I'm running M1s on the ol' Duc and it's only when I've been to the track that I came close to pushing the tire. The Z6 is somewhere between the PR and Powers whne it comes to grip and profile... Closer to the Powers gripwise and wearwise. The Z6 has been my favorite tire for the 'Bird. The Powers are killer, but they are a softer compound and do wear a bit faster. My last set of tires before the Michelin experiments was a M1 front and a Z6 rear. I'll bet the new M3 would be even better on the front now.

Might not be relevant, but I went from a Bridgestone BT020 rear to the Z6. Was instantly more comfortable, turned better to the point where I was touching the hero blobs on my footpegs for the 1st time ever and not feeling unhappy. With the 020 I never came close to that - it didn't feel secure enough. BTW, I ride my XX at probably 5% of its potential...

B

I have never run the M1 on the rear but I know that since I changed the gearing to 16/45 the Z6 has a hard time hooking up in first gear under hard acceleration. I run 42 lbs of air in it, and when I abruptly get on the gas in first the rear will just hop, the tire wont hook up enough to even smoke!

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the z6 rear I put on 2000km ago, great traction, and reacts very nicely at the limits of traction, rode 400km in the rain and sleet last week at 120-140km/hr and was stellar for wet grip, wet twisties at 10-20 over were no problem whatsoever. I hear that the z6 front and rear were designed to work best in the wet together, so i am going to add a z6 front next spring. I am curious about wear though as due to the lack of tread in the center I hear it is hard to determine replacement time.

Running the M3 on the front and Z6 in the rear. Can feel the front dig in and the back can spin up if pushed reeeeeeeeeal hard while cranked over but for 95% of the time a great combo.

Just went to this combo 5 days ago, so far so good, but, like the corners WAY to much, so we'll see how this new marrage works out.

Edit- Love my M-1 Rears, but I can only get about 3 months riding out of one.

I have Z6's front and rear. After two track days of dragging knees and hard parts, plus a few trips to the drag strip I have to say I'm pleased with their performance. Now I'll have to see how many miles I get out of them. I could only get 3500 miles out of my 208's

post-145-1158043319_thumb.jpg

post-145-1158043430_thumb.jpg

TeXXaSS. Awsome photo! I have never been to a track day yet but its great to see how hard you can push these machines! I think so many times people think that they can out ride these machines. that photo is proof that mr honda designed these bikes to handle way more then the average joe will throw at them! I am curious if you have the M1/Z6's on in the knee dragging photo?

TeXXaSS. Awsome photo! I have never been to a track day yet but its great to see how hard you can push these machines! I think so many times people think that they can out ride these machines. that photo is proof that mr honda designed these bikes to handle way more then the average joe will throw at them! I am curious if you have the M1/Z6's on in the knee dragging photo?

I'm running Z6 front and Z6 rear and have used these tires on 2 track days and 2 drag race days with 26 passes on them and yes I was knee draging with the Z6's. Heck, I did a track day yesterday (9/11) and during the 2nd half of the day it started to rain and the Z6's did way better in the rain than I thought they would do. At first only half the track was wet so you would take it easy in the wet and push on the dry. knew the tires would cool in the wet but when I got to the dry sections they still held when pushed. I'm no Nkkie but was happy with them.

The XX will shred any tire that you run you just have to have throttle control.