CBR1100XX.org Forum

Slotting Lower Cowl

nickc2s

The lower cowl behind the front wheel and below the radiator is solid and I wonder if it had a 1x6 slot or 2 slots cut in if the extra air would cool the bike better? Anybody tried this?

Why? Are you over heating?

The lower cowl behind the front wheel and below the radiator is solid and I wonder if it had a 1x6 slot or 2 slots cut in if the extra air would cool the bike better? Anybody tried this?

If you cut slots into the the lower cowl all the extra dirt and mud that will be stuck to your engine will do every thing but keep you engine cooler. If you live where you have extreme heat try some coolant additives, don't cut your bird up it's not even Thanksgiving yet.

It might have a little impact when stationary, but probably negligable. When moving I woudl think it makes no difference.

If you are curious, remove the bottom fairing and go for a ride in traffic and see if it makes any substantial difference to the temps. If it does, maybe pursue your idea.

But Blackbirds run hot. They all do and it has no effect on reliability - so why bother?

That area receives very little air anyway. It is mostly masked by the front tire and fender. You are likely to do more harm than good by redirecting air that does reach the cowl to interfere with the outflow from the radiator.

From observations on my bike, the air inlet to the radiator is very sensitive to smooth air flow. Even getting too close to a car in front on the freeway, and entering their wake turbulance zone, can raise coolant temperature 10 degrees or so.

In smooth air, at even 100+ degree temps, my bike runs at about 184 degrees. Get up behind a cage, and I'm not talking tailgating here, easy 5 car lengths, and the temp goes well into the 190's. Nothing to worry about, even 220 is not horrible so long as your radiator cap is in good shape. Tell the truth, if it wasn't that I was so bored running at 5K RPM in 6th, I probably would never have noticed.

That area receives very little air anyway. It is mostly masked by the front tire and fender. You are likely to do more harm than good by redirecting air that does reach the cowl to interfere with the outflow from the radiator.

+1

Some of the aie that passes through the radiator actually goes down the front of the block and pushes exhaust heat away from the radiator.

By Removing or modifying the lower scoop, you could screw that all up, increasing radiant heat transfer and metal fatigue.

Leave it alone.

+1

Some of the aie that passes through the radiator actually goes down the front of the block and pushes exhaust heat away from the radiator.

By Removing or modifying the lower scoop, you could screw that all up, increasing radiant heat transfer and metal fatigue.

Leave it alone.

Thanks, that is exactly the input I was looking for.

By chance did you get this idea from an FJR owner? I ask because I think what you describe is a common mod of the FJR, done to direct more air away from the rider. Supposedly FJR riders receive an awful lot of heat from the engine. Something I don't think is a problem with the XX.