CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hey low carb people...

sriddy

I went from 285 to 250 at a fairly constant rate of 2-3 lbs. per week. Then for the past month, I've been bouncing around between 250 and 253. I've been doing the low carb thing and going on 1/2 hr stationary bike rides at the gym twice a week. I can't figure out anything I've changed in the past month. WTF do I need to do to get this thing kickstarted again. Its fucking pissing me off...

Steve

• 5 weeks later...

I went from 285 to 250 at a fairly constant rate of 2-3 lbs. per week. Then for the past month, I've been bouncing around between 250 and 253. I've been doing the low carb thing and going on 1/2 hr stationary bike rides at the gym twice a week. I can't figure out anything I've changed in the past month. WTF do I need to do to get this thing kickstarted again. Its fucking pissing me off...

Steve

I would put real money that you're doing fine. On the South Beach Diet, they say that you will lose alot the first few weeks quick, then stop. It's you body adjusting. Don't give up they say. Even if you cheat and eat something you know you shouldn't, it's ok. Just keep in mind you're goals and eat moderately several times a day. That's my 2 cents anyways.

Keep up the good work. You'll love the end results.

-Obby

Ps. I'm down 38lbs in 7/8 months. 8 pounds came off in the first 2 weeks, the rest took some time.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so shortly after I whined in the post above, I wised up and did a a search. I found a lot of info on plateaus from TJ. So I took his advice and added weight training to my workout schedule. The past five weeks have shown a definate improvement as far as strength is concerned. Plus, I back issue I had subsided when I finally decided to strengthen the supporting muscles. I even feel better when riding the 'bird for longer periods. Due to this plus modifying the diet to a low cal and low carb (translate to a moderate lunch and small dinner, a large percentage of which is rabbit food.) I've lost another 5 lbs in the past two weeks. Assuming I didn't just jinx myself by bragging about it, I think I've kickstarted the weight loss again.

So a big thanks to TJ for the info, even if the posts dated back 3 yrs, and another big thanks to Obby for the words of encouragement.

You guys rawk!!!

• 6 months later...

I have some advice...

Eat some carbs! Good ones. Wheat bread, brown rice, veggies, and everything else that is non-processed.

Low carb should be a VERY short term solution. Working out and eating healthy will pay off in the long run and will be WAY more sustainable then a quick fix like super low carb.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve

One possibility is you are gaining muscle so your weight is not decreasing. I personally would tell you to throw away your scale and use bodyfat measurements or a tape measure for circumference measurements.

Muscle weighs more than fat so you could end up weighing more but still be leaner.

• 1 year later...
I have some advice...

Eat some carbs! Good ones. Wheat bread, brown rice, veggies, and everything else that is non-processed.

Low carb should be a VERY short term solution. Working out and eating healthy will pay off in the long run and will be WAY more sustainable then a quick fix like super low carb.

Tuff Guy, you're right on!

too much of any one part food type (ie: protein, carbs) can be bad for you, and atkins and south beach diets are good only for temporary use.

• 2 weeks later...
Eat some carbs! Good ones

+1 Sounds like you need another glycemic reset. Eat some good carbs for a few days and go back to phase 1 for 7-10 days. That will get you back into ketosis and burning fat again. Then go back into phase 2, eat fewer/better carbs then you did the first time around and exercise more. I would include weight training along with the cardio you are already doing.

Eat some carbs! Good ones

+1 Sounds like you need another glycemic reset. Eat some good carbs for a few days and go back to phase 1 for 7-10 days. That will get you back into ketosis and burning fat again. Then go back into phase 2, eat fewer/better carbs then you did the first time around and exercise more. I would include weight training along with the cardio you are already doing.

That's really funny combined with your avatar. :icon_biggrin:

av-548.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Also, you're on the right track adding weight training, but switch up your workout.

Your body will adjust and get used to a certain kind of exercise if it's all you do, keeping your body guessing will get you a lot further, as well as gaining muscle throughout your body, rather than just in your stationary bike muscles :)

• 7 months later...

I was wondering what your carb limit was? If you've increased your carb limit, you want to lower it back down to 20-30g. On the same path, but have not been as strict as I would like. Consistency is so important.

• 2 months later...

Steve

Steve,

Add in some weight lifting. Go heavy and don't do a lot of "beach body" crap. Just good ole olympic lifts.

Google "Pavel" for more info.

~Eric