CBR1100XX.org Forum

Found the problem...suggestions.....

vicsxx

I pulled all the plugs out adn found #1 and #4 fouled and gas soaked. I think there is still gas in those two cylinders because of how wet the two plugs were. #2 and #3 were fine,(I'm gonna change them anyway), Looks like #1 and #4 injectors got stuck open. I'm gonna send all injectors out to be sonic cleaned and flow tested. Any easy way to get that gas out of those two cylinders? I don't really want to leave it in there if it is alot then foul up the new plugs. Suggestions????

Thanx,

Vic

I pulled all the plugs out adn found #1 and #4 fouled and gas soaked. I think there is still gas in those two cylinders because of how wet the two plugs were. #2 and #3 were fine,(I'm gonna change them anyway), Looks like #1 and #4 injectors got stuck open. I'm gonna send all injectors out to be sonic cleaned and flow tested. Any easy way to get that gas out of those two cylinders? I don't really want to leave it in there if it is alot then foul up the new plugs. Suggestions????

Thanx,

Vic

if there is standing fuel in there, you can suck it out the spark plug holes, or it will just drain past the rings into the oil over time... Then you just change the oil...

Mike

Thanx,

Vic

I could be wrong but I think one ign coil runs cyl 1 & 4 and the other does 2 & 3. It is more likely that the coil went bad, therefore not igniting the gas in those 2 cyls, than both injectors getting stuck open simultaneously.

I could be wrong but I think one ign coil runs cyl 1 & 4 and the other does 2 & 3. It is more likely that the coil went bad, therefore not igniting the gas in those 2 cyls, than both injectors getting stuck open simultaneously.

Good observation.

It's also easy to test for a bad coil. What I do is zip-tie a spark plug to a good ground, like the engine block or part of the frame. Then attach one of the spark plug wires to it. When you press the starter button, you should see a nice blue spark.

Testing a coil by allowing spark out in the open air is not going to be fully effective. Conditions inside the combustion chamber are quite different with pressures of 150 or so PSI or possibly higher.

It is easy to compare both the primar and secondary resistance between a known good coil (2/3 in this case) and the suspect one. Even that won't tell you everything as coils heat under load and it might only break down when operating under full load. Easiest and best way is substitution.