CBR1100XX.org Forum

No start for you!

Elefant

I've been away on vacation for three weeks. Left the bike on the tender. Went to the garage, hit the starter, and it attempted to start but about half second shy of starting, it quit cranking. The starter will spin but doesn't seem to spin the crank. Took off the negative pole thinking "something" would reset itself but no go.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The only dealer I trust is 130 miles away....

I've been away on vacation for three weeks. Left the bike on the tender. Went to the garage, hit the starter, and it attempted to start but about half second shy of starting, it quit cranking. The starter will spin but doesn't seem to spin the crank. Took off the negative pole thinking "something" would reset itself but no go.

Assuming battery voltage is indeed OK and the starter does not sound lethargic in any way you then have a choice to make here. You could pull the starter and do a simple bench test to check the bendix or you can try rotating the engine by hand (spark plugs out) to try a different spot on the flywheel for the bendix to engage to….

Assuming battery voltage is indeed OK and the starter does not sound lethargic in any way you then have a choice to make here. You could pull the starter and do a simple bench test to check the bendix or you can try rotating the engine by hand (spark plugs out) to try a different spot on the flywheel for the bendix to engage to….

I think I didn't explain myself right. Starter and crank spin. Engine doesn't "catch on". Battery fully charged and starter spinning like there's no tomorrow. Even got backfire once the compression builds up. I'm hoping to avoid having to pull the plugs out. Ya know.... dismantling half the front end to get to them... I tend to think it's FI/ignition related... As if no spark got to the combustion chambers... Coils? Ignition module/modules.... Something of that nature. The red FI light does its testing/checking thing...

I did wash it/dry it/started it right before I went on vacation after an 1800 mile trip to Philly-Indy(Formula1 USGP)-Nashville-Philly but put no miles on it after clean up. Maybe water sat "somewhere" for 3 weeks?

Anyone knows the "testing codes" and how to make'em show on the display?

I think I didn't explain myself right. Starter and crank spin. Engine doesn't "catch on". Battery fully charged and starter spinning like there's no tomorrow. Even got backfire once the compression builds up. I'm hoping to avoid having to pull the plugs out. Ya know.... dismantling half the front end to get to them... I tend to think it's FI/ignition related... As if no spark got to the combustion chambers... Coils? Ignition module/modules.... Something of that nature. The red FI light does its testing/checking thing...

I did wash it/dry it/started it right before I went on vacation after an 1800 mile trip to Philly-Indy(Formula1 USGP)-Nashville-Philly but put no miles on it after clean up. Maybe water sat "somewhere" for 3 weeks?

Anyone knows the "testing codes" and how to make'em show on the display?

OK I misunderstood too. from the way you described, the bendix would not engage. Are you sure the backfire is not from spark?

Maybe you had some crap in your tank, which has now settled. Try some fresh gas perhaps.

It's so simple...Your bird is pissed off you went for vacation and it was left all alone in the dark garage. Now it's going to hunt you for a while until yoy buy a nice suspension upgrade :icon_biggrin:

It's so simple...Your bird is pissed off you went for vacation and it was left all alone in the dark garage. Now it's going to hunt you for a while until yoy buy a nice suspension upgrade :icon_biggrin:

Absolutely right! Although it does have a Penske.

Anyway, got home after work and figured I'd give it another go. hit the starter.....

13 secs later BIG POP! (I was timing it) figured "yougonnastartorbust"... kept spinning... 28secs HUGE POP... 32secs it started.

Put 65 miles since and hasn't missed a beat.

So I figured sitting in a detached HOT garage for 3.5 weeks must have left it dry... or something...

Thanks to all who have made suggestions.

Absolutely right! Although it does have a Penske.

Anyway, got home after work and figured I'd give it another go. hit the starter.....

13 secs later BIG POP! (I was timing it) figured "yougonnastartorbust"... kept spinning... 28secs HUGE POP... 32secs it started.

Put 65 miles since and hasn't missed a beat.

So I figured sitting in a detached HOT garage for 3.5 weeks must have left it dry... or something...

Thanks to all who have made suggestions.

Dam it sounds like Johnny Cochran himself might have come up with that “alleged” prognoses……. :icon_think: